1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will a broody adopt chicks she didn't hatch?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by mickeygirl217, Apr 7, 2009.

1. mickeygirl217

mickeygirl217 New Egg

Mar 26, 2008
    Duvall, WA
    I have a broody sitting on a clutch of eggs right now, we're expecting them to hatch around the 21st. The problem is that we have 1 rooster and 15 hens. He's really good about all his rooster duties except he doesn't seem to mate very often so we aren't expecting a large hatch rate. I'm wondering if as soon as the few start hatching if I run to the feed store and grab a couple more chicks can I put them under her that evening and will she accept them as her own? The chicks at the feed store would probably a couple days old so a few days older than the chicks she hatches.

Thank you!

2. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    some times it works some times it doesn't, so I would try that but make sure you get really 1 day old chicks, because she will know if they were a week old or so.

3. TexasVet

TexasVet Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 12, 2008
    Willis TX
    That's exactly what I did, and she accepted them just fine. I was sure to slip them under her at night, because in the daylight they're not so easily fooled!

Kathy, Bellville TX
    www.CountryChickens.com

Last edited: Apr 7, 2009
  4. PunkinPeep

PunkinPeep Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 31, 2009
    SouthEast Texas
    I wonder if she got up the next morning counted her chicks and thought "dang, i'm good!"
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 7, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by