Will a call duck return home?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by juox, Nov 4, 2013.

1. juox

juox New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    Devon, England
    a few seconds ago
    juox
    Hi, I would really appreciate some advice, last night when putting my call ducks into their pen for the night one of the females startled and flew out of the garden. I put the others in and went to find the missing duck. There was no sign of her in the fields surrounding our property and and eventually I had to return as it was completely dark. I have 11 calls and they free range in our garden and on our pond all day and get put in an enclosure at night. We have not clipped their wings as we wanted them to be able to escape any predators and they will normally fly short distances in the garden but never leave. The one that is missing was hatched this spring by its mother and has never left the garden before. There is no sign of it today despite searching all the nearby fields surrounding our property, and I am obviously worried about it, does anyone have similar experience and do you think there is any chance it will come back if it has survived the night? Any advice would be great, thankyou.
    CancelEditSubmit
    BackYard Chickens would like to say thank you
    to our site Sponsors!

FAQ · Support · Feedback · Sign Out
    MobileDesktop
    [​IMG] 2013 BackYard Chickens is powered by Huddler Families

2. juox

juox New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    Devon, England
    Apologies for the 'glitchy' post, it seems to have extra/ repeated bits on it.

3. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Did she come home today? just this week someone who's Muscovy was gone for 3 weeks came home, so it can happen so don't give up hope. I hope it happens to you too, and you see your duck soon. [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

4. juox

juox New Egg

Nov 4, 2013
    Devon, England
    Hi, thanks so much for replying, she hasn't returned (she's called sparrow), I have searched the fields, river, nearby water/ponds but no sign of her anywhere, feel real sad about it and am still hoping she will find her way back, the other 10 calls are noisy so keep hoping she'll hear them. I think she may not know her way back as had never been out of our garden before, but still hoping for her return. She's pictured here with Kiwi her sidekick, kiwi is really missing her :-( . Thanks for your positive reply, I will carry on hoping.[​IMG][​IMG]

5. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Beautiful ducks, sorry you haven't seen her yet, Lets hope she'll hear the others and come home soon. Thanks for updating.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by