Will a fox get through a double layered predator apron of chicken wire?

Jul 9, 2020
Melbourne, Australia.
I am just starting on re-doing my coop to make it predator proof. Right now it is flimsily made of weak chicken wire and crooked posts. I also have problems with little birbs getting in. I am going to build a strong frame and use aviary mesh/hardware cloth. I have just enough to do the roof and sides. I also have WAY to much chicken wire. I want to use it for the predator apron. I have enough to double, or even triple layer it, but my dad thinks a fox would get through it if were on the ground, or buried slightly. Is chicken wire suitable for an apron? I don’t want to have to buy more mesh, it is expensive and it is hard for me to get to Bunnings.

I also don’t want to dig a perimeter, that’s much to hard, and my soil is extremely heavy and rocky. I would have to dig down 1 metre, (the width of the wire) or cut the whole thing shorter (way too hard)

Yeah sorry but chicken wire really is only good for keeping them in. It truly won’t keep out and determined predators. It stretches and the minute it stretches it is weakened. Hardware cloth is very expensive but trust me, doing the job twice or three times is way more expensive. I learned the hard way.

I still plan on locking them up at night, this just makes me more comfortable that they won’t get eaten. I think it would at least help deterr them, especially a double or triple layer.
I'll think about getting stronger wire then. Would some medium-duty dog wire be good enough? It has larger gaps, but not big enough for a fox. It is stronger, as it is meant to keep out dogs. I believe it is welded.

I’ve never lost a bird at night. A neighbors dogs busted through fence once and got 2. A hawk got one, a possum got 2 chicks through the fence one evening and a fox got through cattle panels with chicken wire attached to it. All day time. The fox made several attempts, I shot at him at least 4 times, hit him in the butt once and then hubby neutralized him. A week later there is another fox around.

Back
Top Bottom