Will a full size rooster breed my Mille de fleur d'uccles?

southerngirl29

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 24, 2013
I have a pair of mille de fleur d'uccles and I'd like to sell hatching eggs/chicks from them when they're old enough (only around 4 months now) My mille hen is so tiny compared to my full size rooster (splash maran) I only have one coop so they are all together. I want to keep my full size rooster too. So I was HOPING that my big rooster just wouldn't have anything to do with my mille hen since she's so much smaller. And also that he wouldn't hurt my mille roo. What do you think? Will this work or will I be getting mixed chicks from my mille??

Bantam roosters will try to mate full size hens and large fowl roosters will try to mate bantam hens. Sometimes they're successful, and sometimes they're not. I would recommended choosing the rooster you want most, and only keeping one. Otherwise, the mille fleur hen will probably be producing mixed breeds.

One of my bantam cochin hens hopped the fence last night and wound up in the pen with this guy

, and he's filled out some since that pic. He caught and mated her at least twice before I could get in and remove her. She was less than pleased and left feathers everywhere, and she's a mature hen that's lived with a rooster in the past, who knows the mating ritual. Your young hen is going to be mated by the large rooster and it probably won't be pretty. He could possibly damage her due to the difference in size. You'll be getting mixed chicks, and your bantam rooster may have a pretty terrible life, if the mature rooster decides he's a threat as he matures.

I'd say if you want to keep both, you need another pen.

Back
Top Bottom