Flock Integration

AliciaMur2395

In the Brooder
Mar 17, 2023
I have nine golden comets that are a little over a year old. We are trying to integrate six 12 week old black australorp pullets and one Mille Fleur D’Uccle pullet. They have been in a parallel run for a couple of weeks now. While my older girls are no longer screaming at the top of their lungs about their new flock mates, they are still acting rather aggressive at times. We took one of the older girls, who
Is generally sweet and bottom of the pecking order and brought her in with the younger ones. That lasted about 10 seconds as she started chasing them. Mind you the younger ones are basically the same size, with the exception of my Mille Fleur, but they act like they freaked out and hid even though it was only one chicken. I know when we finally fully integrate them we will do so at night as everyone suggests, but does anyone have any further advice on how to make this better? I’m really worried about my Mille Fleur since she is so tiny as well.

We took one of the older girls, who
Is generally sweet and bottom of the pecking order and brought her in with the younger ones
That's actually the worst possible choice. The biggest bullies of young newcomers are the birds at the bottom of the pecking order, because they don't want to fall further in the new pecking order that will be established.

Your newcomers are unfortunately too old for chick only safe spaces, but things that still work would be providing a lot of clutter to break up line of sight in the space as well as multiple feeders and possibly waterers spread out, to reduce fighting over resources. Photos of your set up can help us assess if you have enough clutter or where some can be added.
I know when we finally fully integrate them we will do so at night as everyone suggests,
I personally don't buy into that - as soon as the chickens wake up they'll realize there's new birds in with them. Even with fully run integrated chicks I still use caution the first week and prop the coop door open so they can escape the coop if the need arises.

Back
Top Bottom