Will a Gander help?

GMoose

Songster
Nov 23, 2021
Pa
Hey everyone, hope y'all are doing well. The property I keep my geese on (3 geese 2 runner ducks, get along great) has a lot of visitors. My problem is that a lot of these visitors are curious children. They chase the Geese wanting to pet them, and the poor Geese just run for their lives. A friend of mine offered me her biggest meanest gander. She told me that the gander will bond with me and be okay with me, but will also hiss and act slightly aggressive towards kids trying to chase the geese. now, I know that the gander will not protect the flock, but these are little innocent kids just trying to pet the geese. Thinking that maybe a hiss or a wing flap will scare the kids off? Thoughts? I have chickens that free range with the geese but sleep separately. Will the gander be okay with the chickens? Just 6 of them. Will the gander bond and be okay with my 3 girls and runner ducks? Should I get the gander now, or after mating season? Sorry for all the questions! Hope y'all can help, thanks!

If a goose chases, attacks, flaps their wings, or even hisses at a child, you will most likely get in trouble and the cops may be called. Ganders are usually only territorial during breeding season but can become very aggressive. Geese are also very large and have different reproductive systems and diet than other poultry/chickens, so they may not be good to keep with the chickens. The best thing to do in this situation is to talk to the kids about not trying to touch them, put up signs, and maybe setting up an area for them so they can't freely roam in areas that are a danger to them or others.

My grand kids come to visit. My geese find the farthest point they can get to and watch. They dont attack they find a safe place to be. Im not being much help but good fences make good neighbors. Maybe give your birds a escape zone where kids cant go.

Man, kids are monsters sometimes, they come in groups and nothing will stop them from petting the geese. :(
Wanna bet! Sounds like you need some poultry netting. As in the electrified kind. There is zero reason for children to learn it is acceptable to harass animals of any kind. If their parents won’t teach then, an electric fence will!

I think you risk little in terms of liability allowing a gander to put children back into their place. It would be far worse with say, a territorial dog. The kids will remember that goose 😂 there may be bruises and pinches but I doubt any children would die.

*I'm not a lawyer, just a cranky guy that enjoys watching people flee from geese*

A goose bite is very painful i know because my gander bit my lip many years ago and I looked like I had been hit with a 2X4. Whoever runs this farm should never let children inside with geese. They can injure and then maybe a law suite and the goose in question has to be destroyed and it could have all been avoided.
I like the idea of poultry fencing that will pop a kid good enough they may think 2X about chasing. But the most important thing is training the children to respect and not chase them. My grandkids were never allowed to go inside where my geese, ducks, and chickens were unless an adult was with them.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom