Will a goose hatch duck eggs?

susand24224

In the Brooder
11 Years
Dec 15, 2008
I have a goose that has been setting her eleven eggs for 29 days now. There is no sign of hatching, although I haven't candled them. This poor girl lost her gander to a predator several weeks ago, and I hate that she will not have babies to keep her company.

I've got some duck eggs in the incubator right now on day ten. If she's still setting around day 21, does anyone know the possibility of slipping a few under her?

I would really like her to have a family. Thanks for any help.

Thank you for your response--and I suppose the bottom line is I have nothing to lose by trying (except the duck eggs, of course). Right now my primary concern is for her, though.

She will be fine. If she gets thin, though, you may have a problem like we did with our broody hen, Rosie. Make sure she gets more than enough food and water, or she will get thin-- this is unhealthy. If the eggs don't hatch a month after the appropriate time, you should probably break her of being broody by taking away the eggs or she will get thin and unhealthy.

Thanks--I will likely gradually trade goose eggs for duck eggs gradually. I have dealt with broody hens before, but not a goose--and I simply don't want her to be alone after the loss of her gander.

pretty sure she will! i had a chicken hatch duck eggs and a duck hatch chicken eggs and a goose hatch... oh i could go on and on. even had a turkey hatch seagull eggs that i found!
more info on gull eggs here https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=187718&p=1

lol.png

Last edited:
Loved the gull thread! I had a turkey sitting on chicken nests at random, often with an adult hen tucked under her wing. She actually hatched a few chicken eggs, but apparently squashed them. I was afraid that the goose might do the same with ducklings.

I have now candled five of the eggs (what I could semi-gracefully get out from under her) and they are quite rotten. My guess is that they are probably all infertile. I put three duck eggs under her, and she immediately rearranged them to her liking. I'm going to get the rest of her eggs out from under her tomorrow before one explodes and destroys all of them. Please wish me luck--this poor girl has been through a lot recently and this is her best chance at having a family, even though they will be midgets.
smile.png

And a great word it is--I bought her as adult, so I am not sure if this is the first, but she is young so probably.

Back
Top Bottom