Will a hanging waterer sway and spill??!!!

lakeontariochicks

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 12, 2010
Lake Ontario, NY
Hubby is reluctant to hang the girls waterer in the coop, as he says they will continuously bump it and spill the water.
I don't know..... said I'd ask you all!
big_smile.png

Right now, it is on bricks on the floor, but being the new coop, they are much more active, and it is constantly filling up with shavings. I say to hang it up!

As long as it's pretty full, the weight of the water keeps it pretty still.....I haven't run into this problem. If hubby doesn't want to hang it, maybe you could just sit up higher on more bricks? I set mine on a cement block, and that works perfectly. No wood shavings in the water. You just have to make sure it's really level so it doesn't slowly leak out.

All of my waterers in the tractors hang on the end of a chain. Naturally they sway somewhat when I move the tractors every day, but I've got to jerk them mighty hard to make one spill. Even then they don't spill much.

If your waterers are more than a couple of gallons make sure the overhead is strong enough to support the weight.

I have mine hanging b/c they get all sorts of debris in them otherwise. Mine are only 1 gallon each, though and when they get low on water, they do seem to tip and leak the remaining water out. Not an issue with me b/c they are hanging out in the run, but if they were in the coop, it could get the bedding wet. Otherwise, the girls don't tend to hit them, or knock them or anything. I think no matter which method you use, as long as they are high enough - it should reduce the debris getting into the water. If you don't want to hang them, just raise them up a bit - as long as all can reach it comfortably, the higher the better
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom