Will a Hawk Attack a Goose?

Wow that video sent shivers down my spine. I've strongly suspected that it was a gyrfalcon that attacked our ducks and chickens but at that time I was too panicky to really observe the bird that I was chasing away. And since its not very common in our area, I haven't seen it again. The video confirms what I saw that day. Fortunately it hasn't been back but now we have a peregrine falcon hanging out. Our birds are in a covered run but it still makes me nervous

Our hawk came back one more day then not since. i am thinking perhaps it was attracted by the little D'Anver hen i had in a pen at the back. She is perfect hawk appetizer size. But she has been inside since the first siting, much to her consternation. And i have put up netting in the vulnerable areas where our ducks wander. But i always see hawks in this area, just never before in our backyard. We are in a residential neighborhood but there is a high school nearby with a large field, then some areas of undeveloped land. So the threat will never completely go away. Right now my biggest problem is a rat (or rats) trying to create condominiums under all our coops and sheds.

Our hawk came back one more day then not since. i am thinking perhaps it was attracted by the little D'Anver hen i had in a pen at the back. She is perfect hawk appetizer size. But she has been inside since the first siting, much to her consternation. And i have put up netting in the vulnerable areas where our ducks wander. But i always see hawks in this area, just never before in our backyard. We are in a residential neighborhood but there is a high school nearby with a large field, then some areas of undeveloped land. So the threat will never completely go away. Right now my biggest problem is a rat (or rats) trying to create condominiums under all our coops and sheds.
Seems like it's always something we have to deal with, we had 2 red tail hawks flying around in circles above us yesterday, so in the afternoon I went out and stood watch so the ones in the flock that wanted to could do some free ranging. Hopefully with me and the dogs out there with them the hawks won't get close. We'll just have to be vigilant till spring and the leaves come back giving everyone someplace to hide.

You know, I suppose if a goose was to be off by itself a big hawk might get it although geese seem to stick together pretty good. I suppose the hawk was hoping for something smaller. And it seems the little critter that goes off by itself is always the sitting duck.

Luckily, our geese are rarely more than a foot away from each other. And the area where they sleep during the day is where our goats like to hang out. So hopefully they are safe. Also trying to imagine a hawk going after 7 large angry geese with massive wings outstretched, and hissing with their tongues sticking out. That's what they do when i have the Webster duster out trying to knock spider webs off the pens anyways.

Luckily, our geese are rarely more than a foot away from each other. And the area where they sleep during the day is where our goats like to hang out. So hopefully they are safe. Also trying to imagine a hawk going after 7 large angry geese with massive wings outstretched, and hissing with their tongues sticking out. That's what they do when i have the Webster duster out trying to knock spider webs off the pens anyways.
I think a Hawk would have to be on his last leg to tangle with 7 adult geese. lol

Recently some hawks have discovered out home, maybe a month ago. At first one flew off with a young hen, our neighbor ran over to tell us they saw it happen. Then we found feathers on the ground and noticed some missing chickens, we even caught the hawks eating our chickens. They carry them over into the cow pasture and eat. We came home one day and a hawk was sitting with our ducks inside their run just watching them as if deciding which one to kill, at this point we were missing one duck. And one of my large white turkeys was killed and eaten next to the duck coop. The hawks are bold. They fly over us when we are outside and they just look at us. Creeps me out.
So all our birds now have netting over their areas and we no longer free range, too many losses, 1 or 2 a day. I'm afraid to let our puppy out alone.

Back
Top Bottom