Will a lone turkey be ok??

AltonaAcres

Crowing
Jan 13, 2019
We bought the LAST three poults at our local Murdoch's this Spring. All were labeled as Broad Breasted White. One failed to thrive, was always small, and ended up passing while we were on a camping trip. One ended up being a nice big Broad Breasted White tom. We butchered him last week. This leaves one, Beatrice. An elegant Royal Palm I couldn't bear to butcher. She lives with our flock of chickens. She definitely misses her brother............but seemed to forget. Will she be ok? I have been searching high and low for a heritage tom to pair with her but have not had any luck.

We had a late hatch poult that was late enough that everyone was too big and momma rejected, put her with some chickens that were older and did okay. Just recently moved to our Medicoop with a tom that is still recovering from a broken leg and now they can't stand being separated. Going to worry a bit when process day arrives because he was raised to be meat.

I kept a turkey from butcher and kept a buddy turkey for him. He out lived 3 buddy turkeys and didn't get another one for his last 5 years. He was fine with a barn full of birds, he was such a friendly interactive turkey he always got lots of hugs and interaction from us. When he was young and had injuried himself to need to be brought in the house to be cared for, he wouldn't eat. I put his food and water in front of a mirror and he started eating thinking it was another turkey.

Back
Top Bottom