Will a lost chicken find her way home?

Rosecoop

In the Brooder
Aug 1, 2015
We went out to check on our 6 chickens that free range in our fenced in yard. One of them was missing! Our smallest (runt) was nowhere to be found. We've seen hawks before but put plenty of hiding places out for them. Never had an issue with them, at least none that I know of. I noticed a small hole in the fence where our girls like to hang out. It leads into a small ditch area between our house and the backyards of the houses on the next street. But it's full of underbrush and thick grasses. If she IS lost and not taken by a hawk, will she return home?? We've had these girls for 10 weeks. I sure hope my baby is just hiding and will come home tonight!

Mike

She may very well return, but if possible you may want to lock the others up for a while just in case a predator is working your flock.

She came home!!! I was out around 7:30pm putting the rest of the flock to bed, and there she was! She was trying to get back into the yard pacing the opposite side of the fence. She's back with the rest of the girls and I'm so relieved. I was almost certain that a hawk got a hold of her and we would never see her again. My wife has a huge attachment to her as she is our runt. Thanks for the encouragement and optimism Sourland!

Mike

Back
Top Bottom