Will a newly crowing rooster get LOUDER as he matures?

alalele

Songster
11 Years
Mar 21, 2008
Livingston Parish, LA
I was up last night reading about rooster behaviors since I had noticed my 3 + month rooster chasing the hens yesterday (as if in a territorial way). Also read about crowing and when they start because I'd heard some garbled noises coming from my Black Australorp roo occasionally for the last few weeks.

Well, as if on que at 6:30am my roo started crowing this very morning! He isn't very loud but enough to wake me up. I'm a little nervous of one of my neighbors complaining though. WILL he get LOUDER as he gets older and more sure of himself?

Also, I am happy that it isn't at 3 am like I'd read some roosters do, so I'm pleased with the time as most people are getting up by now for work. (I actually Like the sound myself) Neighbors across the street had chickens for the last 5 years (but no more... when they got rid of them I missed the sound) and no one ever complained in the neighborhood except when they let one roo to run loose for several weeks and someone called animal control. So the neighbors I'm concerned with were "across the street" from the crowing like I was and the roo wasn't as close to their bedroom window, but that roo was much louder then my young roo. I'm kind of hoping my roo doesn't get much louder or earlier just to avoid any neighbor issues.

I also found the advice by Rooster-Red helpful for the dominant issues if need be I'm prepared. He is so gentle and so sweet to me and to the girls, but it was watching him be a little more aggressive with his chasing yesterday that got me thinking. BTW, sounds like he's done crowing now.. about 15 minutes worth. Thanks again!

Our little cohin got louder and much more frequent with his crowing as soon as he discovered that he could. We controled the crowing in the morning by putting him in a dog crate in a dark garage with a blanket over him until about 8:30 am. At that point I figured he could crow away - and he did, as soon as he was let out! It may also have worked to keep him from being dominant as that has never been an issue with this guy.

I have 4 large roosters . and 1 silkie bantam rooster , and they have a contest REAL early in the morning of WHO can CROW more or LOUDER ...... LOL

That like bantam roo sounds SO CUTE , he is determined and will NOT give up . LOL

Must have cajun Blood ...
lau.gif

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom