Will a raccoon kill a cat?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by LovinMyChickies, Mar 5, 2009.

1. LovinMyChickies

LovinMyChickies Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2008
    Redding, California
    Maybe a dumb question. But something is making my cats disappear.
    [​IMG]

We have five fenced acres, with five dogs. No immediate neighbors. My chickies are predator proofed, but I've lost five adult cats over the last four years.

We do have coyotes, but my dogs keep them away. So what is taking my cats? They all disappear overnight. The last one to disappear was such a scaredy cat, she hardly left the house.

Last night, my boy cat, Burt, came barrelling into the house, via the cat door, just scared to death, like he was being chased. Then the dogs went crazy barking. When I got the flashlight and went out to see, nothing,...but barking dogs.

Any ideas?

2. briana1975

briana1975 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 23, 2009
    Carleton Mi.
    We have had a coon fight a cat if cornered or caught. I big one might get a cat. I would think it is the coyotes though. They are very good at killing cats. You would be suprised how close they come even with dogs in the yard.

3. Pumpkinpup

Pumpkinpup Poultry Princess

Jul 16, 2008
    North-West Georgia
    Sounds like a owl to me possibly. Are they getting taken at night? I have seen a hawk take a cat as well. Raptors are not very selective in their quary. Whatever is easy and available.

4. coloradochick

coloradochick Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 19, 2007
    Brighton, CO
    We've seen a coon eating a cat at night, right outside on the sidewalk. And that was when we lived in a "neighborhood" so it will definitely happen out in the country. Coons are mean [​IMG]

5. Poohbear

Poohbear On a Time Out

Nov 12, 2008
    Texas
    Likely a Horned Owl or a Coyote eating your cats. Both are notorious for grabbing cats. Red Hawks will catch a cat too. A Raccoon can kill a cat, dog or a man PDQ! I don't think they would attack any of the three unless they are cornered. Don't believe everthing you see in the Disney movies. Raccoons are some MEAN predators.

6. Indiana hens

Indiana hens Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 25, 2008
    Pendleton, Indiana
    A raccoon can kill and eat another raccoon!

7. GaDawg

GaDawg Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    North GA
    we had coyotes move into to our area and my cats disappeared and the rabbit population is down also.
    Our dog is probably what keeps them from coming in the yard, but cats will roam.

8. PortageGirl

PortageGirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Raccoons will easily kill a cat, and will kill an unwary dog ... some easier than others of course but yes, they are opportunistic feeders, so they are to a degree omnivores, but given any chance, they are carnivorous.

Not to hijack the thread, but as a warning to dog owners/lovers, another surprising danger to pets is Beavers. We have them very nearby, and something that people should know is that if you have an enthusiastic dog that is agressive enough, or silly enough to jump in the water a beaver will drag a dog underwater and kill it. They'd rather escape but if it's near their lodge, they'll protect it.

9. mrsengeseth

mrsengeseth Chillin' With My Peeps

We had a raccoon (rabid) attack our dog. I have no doubt that a hungry raccoon would attack a cat.

10. Cuban Longtails

Cuban Longtails Flock Mistress

Sep 20, 2007
    Northeast Texas
    Coyotes are getting your cats when they roam too far from home.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by