Will a raccoon kill a cat?

My bet is coyotes. A coon is very capable of killing a cat, but most likely wouldn't unless provoked.

We have had cats killed by coons.. The coons wanted the cat food. They will gang up on the cat if there is more than one.. We also had a neighbor down the street, their cat almost got killed by a cougar.. They heard a loud bang on the sliding glass door. They went to look. And the big cat had their little cat pinned against the glass. Surprised at seeing a human. The cougar left. But cat had to go to the vet.. And this was all in town with a population of about 2,500!! And the school would get sightings of cougars, then the kids couldnt go outside for recess.

Last edited by a moderator:
Could also be a fox. This a.m. was the 2nd time I watched a fox after a neighbors cat. Big aggressive fox had the cat cornered in some tall grass. DH went out and scared it off so the cat could get home. Our cat, Ari, has been treed overnight and bit at least twice by foxes & he's a big 18lb cat. Typically we see this behavior from the foxes around here during spring denning until the kits are old enough to go out on their own, then things settle down.

Our big Tom is constantly trying to defend his territory from raccoons and unfortunately the barn seems to be an area of overlap. I'll here a big ruckus and he'll come back with another big patch of fur gone! He never seems to give up though. These are just lone coon males wandering around since I keep the place pretty clear of permanent residents. If he came upon a momma with a litter he probably wouldn't survive.

Last edited:
I agree that a coon can kill a cat. You may have foxes too. They are big cat killers around here. They gang up on a cat and will kill it. I looked outside my back window to find 4 foxes circling my picnic table. My 20 pound cat was under the picnic table scared to death. That is when we figured out what had happened to our other 3 barn cats. Sorry your losing your kitties.

a racoon has tried to kill my small dog but my brave mom ran out and kicked it off her
ep.gif

personally if i see a raccoon in my yard again that things dead *BOOM*

they get in the trash, attack my animals, theyre just a nuisance
smack.gif

My 15 lb tom cat was caught one evening by a racoon. We managed to get the racoon to drop poor Tiger, but he had two large puncture wounds in his belly, a dislocated hip, and 15 stitches. If we had not come out we would have lost him.

So yes, a racoon can and will kill a cat!

Yes, it happens all the time. Make sure your cats are locked up at night.

Some cats are stupid enough to try to take on a coon, it doesn't usually end well for the cat. My neighbor walked outside late one night and saw his cat had just treed 4 juvenile raccoons and a very angry mommy who was on her way down the tree to get him. That cat lucked out big time that his owner walked outside right then.

Last edited:
Sure a coon can kill a cat, but my bet is most definitely on coyotes. Something was obviously after your cat the day it ran in and the dogs didnt know about it until AFTER the cat ran from where it was into the house. The other nights, the cat didnt get away, and the coyotes got it before the dogs were even aware it was there. Dogs can be dense sometimes LOL.

Dont know what you mean by no "immediate" neighbors, but if your cats are loose outside my second guess would be your neighbor is shooting them. Any cat in these parts not in a house is considered game.

I would say coyotes

Are your cats spayed & neutered? This keeps them from roaming far from home.

I leave my garage door open just enough for my cats to get under and the barn door stays open. The cats sleep in the loft and in the garage and the dog house and anywhere else they feel like it.

Coons will spread rabbies.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom