Will a rooster attract predators?

khatar

Songster
8 Years
May 14, 2011
San Diego, CA
One of my family members is suggesting that a bobcat found the chickens because my rooster is crowing announcing that they are there. Is this true?

I don't think your rooster made your flock a target, predators will find them over time. Your roo is young, so he is not at full fighting capacity. As he gets older, his protective instinct will get stronger, and he may get more aggressive. Some roos make good protectors, and will sacrifice themselves, and other aren't very good, and watch from a distance. Give him time, and hopefully he will grow into a great protector.

I don't really think it has to do with crowing. I believe if you have chickens (or rabbits or ducks, etc) the predators are going to find them no matter what!
sad.png

I have to agree with the above poster. It's really not the noise that is giving away their location to predators.

Predators follow scent more than sound, and will find prey (aka chickens) one way or another. If anything, having a rooster around helps because he is often on watch more than the hens and provides them with early warning which will hopefully allow them a chance to get away or hide.

Quote:
A possibility. Predators are not all knowing and able to catch everything around based on smell or sight alone. The advertisements made by males of any kind can and often are intercepted by potential predators. In this case the advertisement is the rooster's crowing directed at potential mates and rivals. Many predators including bobcats, coyotes, foxes and greathorned owls can be called in using recordings alone by hunters. Those recordings are usually based on some sort of distress call like that produced by a rabbit. As a another example where I am the predator listening for mating calls involves bullfrogs. A better example is where I can find a feral game rooster's roosting site by listening for his crowing. I have had to use that technique multiple times when roost was in groove of cedar trees where flashlite was nearly useless. It was best to know which tree rooster was in before climbing up into something that was all prickly and sticky.

Sure. A predator who knows what a chicken is, will follow the sound of chicken.

But don't blame the rooster. Hens make just as much if not more noise and a hen's bwak sounds just as much like chicken dinner as a rooster's crow.

Quote:
Yeah, my family member is certain it's the rooster. I agree with you though, and it wouldn't be his fault anyway. He's just doing what roos go!

Quote:
most predators are pretty stupid they do not "know" anything they are only responding to some type of biological trigger nothing more nothing less

Back
Top Bottom