will a rooster try to mount another rooster?

kelck22

Chirping
6 Years
Oct 15, 2013
mukilteo, wa
I have a little sizzle rooster that is just coming into his prime. He's about 6 months. I have two of his hatch mates I'm not sure on sex still (they are bantam).

I clearly saw him try go mount one of the two. So does that mean that one if for sure a girl?

Males can mount males to show or attempt to show dominance. It probably won't happen too many more times as one of them is going to make a stand as to their status in the pecking order! :)

Unfortunately no, but it is a good sign. The mating ritual is not just about sex, it also can be about dominance. The one on bottom is accepting the dominance of the one on top, whether willingly or by force. I’ve seen a hen mount a pullet to demonstrate dominance when there was not a dominant rooster in the flock. I’ve never seen a cockerel mount another cockerel but some people on this forum that I trust say they have.

It’s still a really good sign, especially if the one on bottom did not put up much of a fight. The mating ritual often is about sex.

Since it can be a dominance issue, it does not necessarily mean the pullet is ready to lay, if it really is a pullet. But again, it is a pretty good sign you might get an egg pretty soon. Make sure your nests are open and put a fake egg in to show her where to lay. I like your odds of seeing an egg pretty soon.

Good luck!

Thanks RR. I have full size hens laying so she knows where to go (if it is a she).

The sizzle is not the dominant rooster in my flock. I have an older full size bcm.

I have a little sizzle rooster that is just coming into his prime. He's about 6 months. I have two of his hatch mates I'm not sure on sex still (they are bantam).

I clearly saw him try go mount one of the two. So does that mean that one if for sure a girl?

Bizarrely one of my hens who has been the best layer, and definitely the best mum, for the last few years, has seemingly turned into a rooster!!! She now has a large comb and wattles(didn't used to have) and she crows like a rooster! She also stands more upright than she used to, more like a rooster! Very weird!🤣😂

Back
Top Bottom