Will a skunk eat a duck?

ducklover87

Songster
7 Years
Aug 7, 2012
I went out to close up the ducks and geese and saw a skunk so came back inside. I was watching it through a window and tried to scare it away but it wouldn't stop what it was doing. It had something in its mouth and then started dragging it away. I swear it was one of my khaki Campbell's and sure enough I'm missing one. It might be hiding or laying somewhere but that's being wishful. I'm not going back out there because I have no clue where it went. Somewhere over by my duck house I know that. I don't have a gun or anything so I cant shoot it. And I don't know how safe it is to put my ducks away. It went in the shadows. Now I'm afraid I'm going to wake up to a whole dead flock. Has this ever happened to anyone before?

I went out to close up the ducks and geese and saw a skunk so came back inside. I was watching it through a window and tried to scare it away but it wouldn't stop what it was doing. It had something in its mouth and then started dragging it away. I swear it was one of my khaki Campbell's and sure enough I'm missing one. It might be hiding or laying somewhere but that's being wishful. I'm not going back out there because I have no clue where it went. Somewhere over by my duck house I know that. I don't have a gun or anything so I cant shoot it. And I don't know how safe it is to put my ducks away. It went in the shadows. Now I'm afraid I'm going to wake up to a whole dead flock. Has this ever happened to anyone before?

They will kill ducks/ducklings. A broom or long stick anything to get it off your duck. It will be back too. Did you find your duck? and did you leave them out all night without being locked up.?

They will kill ducks/ducklings. A broom or long stick anything to get it off your duck. It will be back too. Did you find your duck? and did you leave them out all night without being locked up.?

When I saw the skunk my duck was already dead. I did keep them out all night and thank god I did. I took the dogs and had them track the scent this morning, since I did loose track of it last night. It took them a bit but they brought me right to the duck house and sure enough inside was my dead duck :hit

When I saw the skunk my duck was already dead. I did keep them out all night and thank god I did. I took the dogs and had them track the scent this morning, since I did loose track of it last night. It took them a bit but they brought me right to the duck house and sure enough inside was my dead duck
hit.gif
I'm so sorry
hugs.gif
, was it still daylight when this happened? Either a trap or a gun or ball bat or all 3.

I'm so sorry :hugs   , was it still daylight when this happened? Either a trap or a gun or ball bat or all 3.

No it was around 730 8pm when it happened. Which at that time the sun has been gone for about a half hr or so. I had been putting them to bed earlier because I knew something had been in the yard that wasn't welcome and one time I did see the skunk during day light. But last night I was tired after working and dealing with the hatching egg and everything so I took a nap and I have never regretted taking a nap as much as I do now. I've been trying to get a live trap from one of my bfs uncles but haven't had any luck. But he's supposed to bring it today. I don't really care if he does or not because I will have a dead skunk tomorrow. I'm not big on killing animals but this one has met his maker for sure. I just can't believe a skunk would kill and eat a duck. A duckling maybe but not a duck. My geese never sounded an alarm either or the ducks because the dogs never barked. I just don't get it skunks can't run very fast, I'm sure my ducks could outrun one. I'm not sure what happened that my duck couldn't. I was always taught to find the silver lining in bad situations and I have. That is the fact that I do plan on making a small duckling order soon anyway so I can add a khaki Campbell duck to the list. The thing is though it still don't cheer me up any.

No it was around 730 8pm when it happened. Which at that time the sun has been gone for about a half hr or so. I had been putting them to bed earlier because I knew something had been in the yard that wasn't welcome and one time I did see the skunk during day light. But last night I was tired after working and dealing with the hatching egg and everything so I took a nap and I have never regretted taking a nap as much as I do now. I've been trying to get a live trap from one of my bfs uncles but haven't had any luck. But he's supposed to bring it today. I don't really care if he does or not because I will have a dead skunk tomorrow. I'm not big on killing animals but this one has met his maker for sure. I just can't believe a skunk would kill and eat a duck. A duckling maybe but not a duck. My geese never sounded an alarm either or the ducks because the dogs never barked. I just don't get it skunks can't run very fast, I'm sure my ducks could outrun one. I'm not sure what happened that my duck couldn't. I was always taught to find the silver lining in bad situations and I have. That is the fact that I do plan on making a small duckling order soon anyway so I can add a khaki Campbell duck to the list. The thing is though it still don't cheer me up any.
I don't like the thoughts of killing any kind of animal either but this one will be back, You know people think geese make great guard animals but from all I've seen here when something out of norm they are quiet as church mice. Not sure why the skunk got your duck but it may have just snuck up on it. Hopefully you'll not have to go through it again.
fl.gif

I don't like the thoughts of killing any kind of animal either but this one will be back, You know people think geese make great guard animals but from all I've seen here when something out  of norm they are quiet as church mice. Not sure why the skunk got your duck but it may have just snuck up on it. Hopefully you'll not have to go through it again. :fl

Its funny you say that about your geese. Do they honk and make noise when people pull in your drive way? Mine do, so until now I thought they were good at guarding like everyone says. They honk, my dogs bark, then I go look to see what's going on. But not this time. Too be honest this will be my first animal I've ever killed. I always have had others do the killing. Like last yr with raccoons my brother and his friend took care of them for me. I hope your right miss Lydia. I hope it wasn't a horrible fight that caused my baby a lot of pain. I'd like to think it happened fast and my baby went quick.

Its funny you say that about your geese. Do they honk and make noise when people pull in your drive way? Mine do, so until now I thought they were good at guarding like everyone says. They honk, my dogs bark, then I go look to see what's going on. But not this time. Too be honest this will be my first animal I've ever killed. I always have had others do the killing. Like last yr with raccoons my brother and his friend took care of them for me. I hope your right miss Lydia. I hope it wasn't a horrible fight that caused my baby a lot of pain. I'd like to think it happened fast and my baby went quick.
When our dogs bark our geese will honk especially if a car drives up, but I have watched them before when they were all looking out into the woods at something[ I couldn't see a thing] but they were all at the fence very still and quiet. I'm not sure how they would act if something got into the fence where they all are. Hopefully I won't ever find out. I have never killed anything either even feel badly if I kill a bee that's about to sting me, but I do keep rifle and shot gun at doors in case, I think if I had to protect my animals I probably could, but a trap would also be a way to take care of the problem too. Maybe brother would help you out again.

Last edited:
When our dogs bark our geese will honk especially if a car drives up, but I have watched them before when they were all looking out into the woods at something[ I couldn't see a thing] but they were all at the fence very still and quiet. I'm not sure how they would act if something got into the fence where they all are. Hopefully I won't ever find out. I have never killed anything either even feel badly if I kill a bee that's about to sting me, but I do keep rifle and shot gun at doors in case, I think if I had to protect my animals I probably could, but a trap would also be a way to take care of the problem too. Maybe brother would help you out again.

Mine do that sometimes too will hear something and get real quiet and just watch. Well they forgot the trap and called my brother last night when it happened and he is out of bullets.. I'm going to try the neighbors and see if I can't borrow a gun. If not then well I'm looking for things I could use to kill it. Maybe I'll give my uncle a call and see if he has anything. Ya I'll do that cause even if he doesn't have anything im sure he will know someone who does.

Depending on where you live - urban, rural, in between -- you might be able to call animal control or pay for a pest removal service to come take it out. You can bet the skunk will be back for more easy food.

Skunks can be a very smelly problem to get rid of. You don't want to live trap it unless you're prepared to deal with it (anti-spray trap, etc.) Shooting or dead trap is probably better but you still can have a big smelly problem.

Based on everything I DON'T know about your situation - you could:

do a quick google/utube search on deadfall traps and make one for tonite (deadfalls can also kill a dog, a goose, a racoon, etc. so be aware)
Ditto on a killing snare
peanut butter is a great bait, btw
buy or borrow a 20 guage pump shotgun, practice shooting and reloading (without ammo). Buy some shotshells & practice shooting. Always use eye & ear protection! I'd suggest #4 buckshot or #4 or #5 shotshells. Solves 2 or 4 legged problems.

just my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom