Will a skunk eat a duck?

Ah. The main consensus seems to be to trap them and then go from there. If they start to become an issue, I think that's what I'll do. With a disposable sheet held in front of me so they don't get excited.

You could relocated it. I have seen it done. Just approach with a big blanket or tarp in front of you and throw it over the trap. Put the cage int he back of a truck and take it to the woods and relocate it. Open the trap. The one my dad let loose just walked off. By then it won't have any spray left. Dad did not believe in killing an animal if their was another way.

You could relocated it. I have seen it done.  Just approach with a big blanket or tarp in front of you and throw it over the trap.  Put the cage int he back of a truck and take it to the woods and relocate it.  Open the trap. The one my dad let loose just walked off. By then it won't have any spray left.  Dad did not believe in killing an animal if their was another way.    

X2. I would buy one of those HaveAHeart traps and try trapping it first, and relocate it a few miles away from your house.

Hmmmm, I would think that might be an issue. Do you know anyone who can get to you really quickly after trapping it? It is not fair to keep an animal in a trap for a long time, imo. But if you can get someone to run over, that owns a pick up, maybe that would be better. Or is there an animal control person, game warden, etc., that would pick it up after trapping?

I would drive at least 5 miles away before releasing, more if you can.

Well I picked up a baby skunk of the road and took it to a wild life rehabber in my car. It was fine. An adult though I would line the back with cheap plastic painting sheets and maybe leave the window open. If you throw a blanket or tarp over it leave the skunk covered with a the blanket until you get where you are going. It will be able to breath thru fabric just don't cover it with plastic. I have had a skunk live in my backyard under the shed I would always put the ducks up at dusk and since skunks are nocturnal I never had a problem.

Well I picked up a baby skunk of the road and took it to a wild life rehabber in my car. It was fine. An adult though I would line the back with cheap plastic painting sheets and maybe leave the window open. If you throw a blanket or tarp over it leave the skunk covered with a the blanket until you get where you are going. It will be able to breath thru fabric just don't cover it with plastic. I have had a skunk live in my backyard under the shed I would always put the ducks up at dusk and since skunks are nocturnal I never had a problem.
Yes, that was the original problem. I waited too long one night. Wanted to know if they would eat full-size chickens/ducks. Wanted to know if they would come out earlier since I will have chicks in the spring. I've seen raccoons out at 3pm in the summer - a full 6 hours before dark.

It's not a problem yet, just preparing in case it becomes one.

Other than the coming little ones, I don't mind skunks, they are usually just part of the landscape. Other than the time I thought my black duck was out at night, it was walking funny like it was injured. So I started walking toward it to herd it back into the pen and check on it. My daughter and I got 30' away before we realized our mistake and hurried in the opposite direction.

Yes, that was the original problem. I waited too long one night. Wanted to know if they would eat full-size chickens/ducks. Wanted to know if they would come out earlier since I will have chicks in the spring. I've seen raccoons out at 3pm in the summer - a full 6 hours before dark.

It's not a problem yet, just preparing in case it becomes one.

Other than the coming little ones, I don't mind skunks, they are usually just part of the landscape. Other than the time I thought my black duck was out at night, it was walking funny like it was injured. So I started walking toward it to herd it back into the pen and check on it. My daughter and I got 30' away before we realized our mistake and hurried in the opposite direction.
That's funny glad you saw what it was in time.

Too funny. I feel your pain. I once stopped to feed a stray cat. I took the can of food and approached and it went behind the tree so I set the can of food down by the tree and turned and went back to the car. When I got in the car my daughter told me that was a skunk and not a cat. Oh my gosh I should have been wearing glasses.

LOL I was wearing glasses. Funny how we see skunks and the way they move just doesn't register. Looks like a cat or a duck or ANYTHING but a skunk.

Back
Top Bottom