Will ANTIFREEZE kill RATS???

shelleyd2008

the bird is the word
11 Years
Sep 14, 2008
Adair Co., KY
We have got an un-godly number of rats here! Dad has put poison out but it doesn't seem to be working! Last night apparently there were some in my bathroom, fighting over my lotion bottles and soaps that were in the drawers, there was such a mess in there!

Since the poison isn't working, I was wondering if they would eat dog food (or something similar) soaked in antifreeze, and if it would kill them??? I'm going to get some plaster of paris (if I can ever remember!
he.gif
) to make the peanut butter balls for in the building where the chickens are, but this would be for under the house. Nothing can get under the house except for the rats, so none of our animals would be at risk.

We have no cats, and the 2 dogs that are running loose don't eat rodents, they just kill live ones.

So would they eat antifreeze-soaked food? Would it kill them? Besides the plaster of paris/peanut butter balls, what else can I use?? These are turning into a major predator here, I've lost quite a few chicks (bantams as old as 3-4 months!), and something needs to be done!

First of all, if you enjoy three hots and a cot, just get caught feeding any animal antifreeze. you will get a trip to the pokie. and spend some money too.

RAT TRAPS.. tie a piece of string on the trigger knot it well and put some anchovie paste on it.. RATS will come.

Yeast in peanut butter will also work too. Anti freeze is sweet to teh taste adn all your nearby pets and farm animals will drink it, lick it and die. not pretty.

So get traps set and reset.

dont do anything that will get you arrested..

Gopher Busters Inc.

jack

What makes you think the poison isnt working? It doesnt kill every rat overnight, it takes a long time, not to mention the young ones. For every one you see evidence of, theres probably 10 more you don't see. If you just started with the rat bait, give it a chance to work.

Please do not use antifreeze. My beloved Buster was poisoned accidently with antifreeze, it was terrible. Please! There are just too many ways for that to go wrong. It sounds like you have a horrid rat problem - nothing stinks more than dead rodents in the walls IMO. Googled rat extermination, rat control, and there are lots of helpful sites. Entry points into structures, shelter that sort of thing has to be addressed as well as trapping. We found and fixed the entry points, cleared all the shelter we could, set traps, etc. It was ALOT of work and nasty - but nowhere near as bad as you have. Sorry.

Antifreeze is BAD stuff! It's sweet and is said to taste good, that is why it is so dangerous. Kids, dogs, cats etc.. can be accidentaly poisoned. Please don't use it.

As far as the regular poison goes, are you putting water out with it? Many commercial rodent poisons are less then effective if there is not water available. I think the poison spreads thru the system better when the critters drink after they eat it. We put jar lids with water out along with the poison and have had good results.

Quote:
Do NOT use antifreeze
fl.gif
! I worked in a veterinary hospital and this is true--many animals such as dogs and even cats are attracted to the sweet antifreeze and die a horrible death. There are better ways to eliminate rats. Rat traps baited a few days with yummy PB or other goodies not set to actually trap yet and let the rats get comfortable taking the bait. Then set them to work. The electrocution traps are good too--again let the rats feel comfortable taking the bait with no consequences and then put them out set to kill.

Hate to say it but if you are experiencing this much there must be a LOT of rats getting into your house
hu.gif
. You might want to call in the professionals...

Back
Top Bottom