Will ANTIFREEZE kill RATS???

I believe I've read somewhere that if they eat soda it can kill them? Is that right? I know someone said to mix yeast and (something) together for them to eat, and that would help?

What has worked for me is using the poison in pellet form (often times sold as gopher poison) and mix it into a lump of chunky peanut butter. Make it mostly poison, just enough PB to keep it together in a ball. Give it a few days and you should start finding bodies by a water source. The poison gives them an unquenchable thirst. I agree with the others on not using antifreeze, too much of a chance of collateral damage. There is also the chance of poisoning your local raptors (hawks, falcons, etc) indirectly when poisoning rodents. The large glue traps (TomKats at HomeDepot) also do a good job but you have to finish the dirty deed yourself.
cool.png

My best luck with any rodent has been to have as many weapons in use as possible. Some will not eat poison so put out PB balls, others on glue boards, others in traps. Hit em with everything you go at once.

My best weapon is my cat. I find small inedible parts in the yard all the time. Most recently found a tail, two little feet and a face. She does a great job. I make sure that all food sources are locked away in bins that critters cannot access. Fortunately, I do not have rats or mice in my house. That would freak me out.

I got a ride to the feed store today finally, so I stocked up on 'rat food'. I got some 'bait packs' and snap traps for inside the house, and got 3 or 4 different kinds of poison for outside. I've also ordered some mouse traps (the big 25+ live catchers), so those should be here in a few days.

I went to feed my birds this morning. I took one of my quails' feeders out of their pen; they have one of those long metal chick feeders. I thought it was a bit heavy, but it didn't look totally empty, so I thought maybe that was why it seemed heavy. Nope, there was a 5" rat inside of it!!
ep.gif
I didn't even think they could get inside that cage!! It only has 1" spacing on the wire! So looks like I get to go around my cages with hardware cloth to keep the nasty things out
rant.gif

Rats traps work fabulously! I set some rat traps in my dads shed because I kept hearing stuff moving around in the drawers . Boy did I get rats! Within 2 days I had killed 6 ridiculously huge rats.

So I'd suggest using rats traps for sure.

I don't know if it'll work for rats or not, but I have had great luck with the Tomcat mouse attractant gel. It comes in a 1-ounce bottle and the UPC is 48745 33901 on my remaining bottle.

I say, "Remaining bottle", because I had another one in the cupboard under the sink and the rotten mice found it, chewed the bottle open and ate all the gel, then actually stole the empty bottle. (This bottle is in the fridge because it is the most mouseproof container I have.) I know if I am not catching mice with that as bait then I don't have any mice around to catch.

RSD

Back
Top Bottom