Will baby go back to mom and be accepted after injury?

Phoenixsw

Chirping
Mar 1, 2015
Colorado Springs, CO
I have a week old bantam chick that fell out of the coop and got stuck btwn a straw bale and the fencing around the bottom of the coop. It was super cold and she nearly froze, but a mouse bit her on the foot while she was stuck and she lost 1 toe and I think might lose a second one. I'm going to try to take her to the vet tomorrow, but she's still going to need time to heal some b4 going back with mom and the other 4 chicks. She's bonded with me a little, but if I can get her fixed, will I be able to sneak her back under mom again? I'm worried she won't take to mom a second time after being in the house. Since she's a bantam, I'm hoping she's still small enough to put her back under mom at night and since chickens can't count, she'll accept her back with the others.
Has anyone tried this type 're introduction or have any other ideas?

She should take it back, and recognize it, but every hen is different. If the hen doesn't than it would be best to raise it with another chick from the batch so it has company.

Starting about 24 hours after separation the bond between hen and chick will degrade. Once you get into third day reintroduction will be as starting with a hen and chick that never new each other.

Well, she was a broody that I snuck the 5 babies under on Wed. They were about 3-4 days old at that time. I just want to be able to add her back in with the other 4 in a few days once she's better.

Well, the initial introduction was me sneaking in at midnight to trade eggs for babies. I was hoping to be able to just go do the same again. Sneak out at midnight and stick her back under mom.

Ok, baby healed enough to go back out. Put her and the other chick we had with her for company, in the coop with mom and the issue was with Cricket(she makes little cricket sounds!), not mom. Blue had no issue taking them back, it just required sticking Cricket under Blue about 1500 times, then she finally stayed. Checked this morning and everything is still good.

Ok, baby healed enough to go back out. Put her and the other chick we had with her for company, in the coop with mom and the issue was with Cricket(she makes little cricket sounds!), not mom. Blue had no issue taking them back, it just required sticking Cricket under Blue about 1500 times, then she finally stayed. Checked this morning and everything is still good.
Cute, glad it worked out. I can picture you repeatedly returning it until it gets tired of it.

Back
Top Bottom