Will Barred Rock Hens Brood

I just got BO's on Monday because I wanted broody hens!

Oh - and
welcome-byc.gif

*some* will depending on the strain, but if they are hatchery birds they probably won't
Buff Orps definitely will, but they sure do eat alot

Last edited:
Quote:
I have a BR hen that does.... this time so far she is broody for the past week.... she hasn't left the box!!! I kick her out and she runs right back in! Everyday I boot her tush off, take the eggs. She gets upset squacks at me, but don't put up a fight (she is very docile) she goes right back in the nest to sit some more!!!
roll.png
Startin to build a plan to get her out of this..... I just wish I had some eggs to sit under her right now!!!
th.gif

We've had a BR hen brood last year (and she was a hatchery hen), but once the chicks were a couple of days old she just left them. Thankfully we had another mama that shared a nest with her! We now have some BR hens that were raised by a mama hen and they have a strong broodiness and great mama skills! Our best brooders are Silkies, Light Brahmas, and Buff Orpingtons. Any hens that were raised by mamas are much better at being real chickens!!
Amy J.

I just love the buffs. We had a small flock 2 years ago and they were my favorite. We had to move to Korea (dh's job) and had to give them away. Now we have 5 Buffs and 5 Barred Rocks that are 4 weeks old. They seem to be growing slowly and haven't started showing signs of sex yet.

Warmly,

Back
Top Bottom