Will beaks grow back?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by SergeantSniffle, Dec 2, 2016.

1. SergeantSniffle

SergeantSniffle Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 7, 2014
    So we have a group of chicks, about 8 weeks old now, and 4 of them are cockerels. They have been picking on each other and inflicted small injuries to each other's beaks by their nostrils, which have been fine and heal quickly, but a hen got in the chick pen the other day and completely destroyed the upper beak of one of the cockerels. Right now He's drinking water, and I have him inside, and separatist. I'm guessing I should keep him separate, but I was wondering if his beak will ever grow back. Also he can eat, but it's difficult, and he can only eat things if they're in like a pile and he can get what's left of his upper beak in there.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    With that amount of damage, it's very unlikely that the top beak will ever grow back. He will be 'special needs' for the rest of his life. This means deep feeders and regular trimming of the bottom beak.
    Also, injuries like that are not normal. It could be that your chicks are too crowded, prompting overly aggressive behavior.

3. SergeantSniffle

Jul 7, 2014
    Oh, that's disappointing. The chicks have 2/5 acre, so I don't think it's a space issue, just sorting out the pecking order, the males have been slowing down with the aggression now, and the pullets haven't been aggressive at all. There's also guinea keets, but they could care less about the chicks. The hens are trying to get at the chicks through the mesh, and one flew in and as we know, broke someone's else's beak. Will his tongue get frost bitten?

4. junebuggena

junebuggena Chicken Obsessed

Apr 17, 2015
    Long Beach, WA
    Since his tongue isn't really visible, I doubt that there would be an issue with frostbite. Most birds tuck their heads under the wing to help keep warm in extreme cold anyways. And frostbite with chicken isn't usually caused by cold temps, it's usually caused by inadequate ventilation inside the coop. Chickens are quite cold tolerate, even in temps well below 0F, provided they have adequate, draft-free ventilation.

5. Weehopper

Weehopper Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 26, 2015
    Could have caught it on the pen wire? Just a thought. I don't think it will grow back.

6. SergeantSniffle

Jul 7, 2014
    Just an update, he's still doing good about a week later, I haven't done anything special other than putting the feed in a deeper container, so he can kind of scoop it up. He has lost weight, which is not a good sign, but he has been eating as I can feel the food in his crop every night. Hmm, I've been thinking about having him and two of the other cockerels graduate to freezer camp once they reach about 18 weeks. [​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by