Will Bird /Deer Netting keep flying predators out of the Run?

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by Miss Lydia, Mar 17, 2018.

1. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Loving this country life

Secured down over top?

Raenh and drumstick diva like this.
  2. Folly's place

Folly's place Free Ranging

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Yes, it works well for raptors.
    Mary

Raenh, drumstick diva and Miss Lydia like this.
  3. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    I have been using deer netting with success against Great-horned Owls and Coopers Hawks. My runs are relatively small as either 10' by 10' or 10' by 30' and the material is relatively cheap so I have even taken to doubling it up. Mode of action is as much repellent as a physical barrier. Problem some critters get hung it relatively easy. In last year I have had to disentangle a large Black Rat Snake three times and a Coopers Hawk once. The latter I think would not have been entangled if netting presented a flat barrier rather than with folds it had. The snakes getting into it will likely be a problem regardless of how the netting is stretched.

Bird netting is to flimsy.

4. Beer can

Beer can Free Ranging

Aug 12, 2014
    Upstate NY
    Bird netting works for me. I'm sure if you had a smart determined raptor they would get through beings it's flimsy but I haven't yet.
    I bought mine either Lowe's or Home Depot, think it was Lowe's. 7'x100' for $20. Cut it in half and attached it lengthwise with zip ties to cover a 13'x49'run.

5. Miss Lydia

Awesome thank you all I am going to put this on the duck forum

6. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    C, are the critters getting stuck in it because you doubled it up? Maybe a single layer, stretched better, would be safer.
    Snakes will get through anything with small enough openings.
    Mary

7. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    It appears to me a single layer will also entangle snakes. They push head through a hole and keep going through till body stretches opening stopping forward movement, then scales get hung when snake tries to back out catching snake. I have real problem in pond setting where water snakes and their kin get hung up as well.

8. Miss Lydia

I have had snakes get caught in it had to cut them loose. I wonder if plastic fencing would work just as well just have to make sure it was attached good.

9. centrarchid

centrarchid Free Ranging

Sep 19, 2009
    Holts Summit, Missouri
    Plastic fencing like used at construction sites will stop raptors but I am unable to see through it from a distance at night when using a spotlight.

Miss Lydia likes this.
  10. Folly's place

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Up here in the frozen north, snakes haven't been large enough or motivated enough to try the chicken wire I used to have over the run.
    Last summer I had to rescue a young garter snake who was living under a corner of the coop, and move it on outside.
    Mary

Raenh, drumstick diva and Miss Lydia like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: