Will Bird /Deer Netting keep flying predators out of the Run?

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
12 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
I have been using deer netting with success against Great-horned Owls and Coopers Hawks. My runs are relatively small as either 10' by 10' or 10' by 30' and the material is relatively cheap so I have even taken to doubling it up. Mode of action is as much repellent as a physical barrier. Problem some critters get hung it relatively easy. In last year I have had to disentangle a large Black Rat Snake three times and a Coopers Hawk once. The latter I think would not have been entangled if netting presented a flat barrier rather than with folds it had. The snakes getting into it will likely be a problem regardless of how the netting is stretched.

Bird netting is to flimsy.

centrarchid

Crossing the Road
12 Years
Sep 19, 2009
Holts Summit, Missouri
C, are the critters getting stuck in it because you doubled it up? Maybe a single layer, stretched better, would be safer.
Snakes will get through anything with small enough openings.
Mary
It appears to me a single layer will also entangle snakes. They push head through a hole and keep going through till body stretches opening stopping forward movement, then scales get hung when snake tries to back out catching snake. I have real problem in pond setting where water snakes and their kin get hung up as well.

MANNA-PRO

Top Bottom