Will Bird /Deer Netting keep flying predators out of the Run?

Plastic fencing like used at construction sites will stop raptors but I am unable to see through it from a distance at night when using a spotlight.
Very similar except not the neon orange the dark green over top of a run might work. Okay chicken wire will work I was thinking raccoons could rip it open if they climbed up to the top of the run.

Mine aren't in a run they have half acre fenced in property but over on the duck forum we're beginning to see hawk attacks. And wanted to be sure they were getting the right info on what to put over the top of a run. I use predator tape. Haven't had a hawk attack since I started using it. They are always flying around at least 1X a day but so far so good.

I have perimeters that keep critters like raccoons from getting to where they will challenge the netting. My runs are easily scalable dog kennel panels so electric fencing is used to block raccoons trying to get within a foot of the panels. Another perimeter (this one can be leaky according to weather) is made of hotwire more suitable for excluding foxes, dogs and coyotes which can also keep raccoons out most of the time.

I am very partial to being able to see everything from an observation point on front porch. I had barn oriented to facilitate seeing and runs scattered in yard have vegetation cleared so I can see. This is particularly important at night when a flashlight is used. Netting is almost invisible in beam of spotlight which can be important at times.

Very true. Need to be able to see what is going on.

my coops and waterfowl houses are right next to my house so easy to see anything out of the ordinary going on, A friend dubbed us Shanty town. But I wanted everyone close.

Being able to see and where what is going on can be extremely important when comes to predator management. When we first moved into this house before acquiring dogs, fencing, and barn; the free-range chickens had a roost between front door and bedroom window that was kept open year round. Pens were scattered in a perimeter within 50 feet of the front door. I had it so I could jump up and run to through front door with a flashlight and plastic ball bat. Even ticked off raccoons would not hold their ground when I came out and chased them through field of briers.

C, the pictures this conjures up are interesting at least! It's 2 am, and there you are, armed with a wiffle bat, chasing varmits?
My neighbor, a gentle soul usually, tells about the night she ran out in her nightshirt with a shotgun, and took out the mama raccoon who was getting her birds! Shooting up in a big tree, but she got it!
No pictures, however.
Mary

Last fall Walmart was clearing out the small rolls of holographic rainbow tape, usually $ 4. clearance just $ 1. Didn't work on garden for wild birds or squirrels. But I would imagine Raptors would see it differently.

Back
Top Bottom