Will bird netting keep the hawks from killing?

We've done well with my bernese mountain dog x border collie mix as a guard dog and I trimmed up the base of the bushes around the house so they make a good cover for all the birds to run under. That is another option. Just having something that they can all run under...bushes etc. I am going to make a teepee out of bamboo stalks and maybe another type of shelter with it for cover. Of course it helps to have a watchful rooster.

Last edited:
We used chain link fence panels on top of our run that buts right up to the coop, its very safe and sturdy! Aint no hawk getting in my pen, ha!!

Last edited:
I just found out today that 1" chicken wire on top of my pen will deter hawks. I got home from work and looked out my sliding glass door to check the *children* and lo and behold, a big hawk of some sort was sitting on the edge of the top of their pen, just sitting there, no doubt baffled as to why his free chicken dinner was not as easy as he thought it was going to be. When he saw me, he flew to the top of a tree in my yard...I went out to check the chickens and they were under the covered end of their pen...when I came out, they came out from under, happy to see me. Mr Hawk flew away, my birds pretty much kissed my feet, and all was right in the world again. :D

I will keep an eye out though. Now that this hawk knows my babies are here, he's likely to be back. :/

Last edited:
yea but as long as you keep them under wire he wont get them
D.gif

True enough. The funniest thing about it was my kiddoes reaction when I walked out. It was as if they knew they were under my *wing* so to speak. The big baddie was vanquished and Mommy was there to keep him at bay. :D They all relaxed and went about doing chicken things. I make sure to keep them under that poultry wire since we also have wandering neighborhood cats which I don't trust either. Even with a 6' chain link fence around my yard, things can still get in and try for that chicken snack.

mine free range in the barn yard which is to large to cover with net we built a handful of small lean to's that the chickens can go into for cover when one of the hawks are in the area we do have some fishing line strung up with bird tape on it around the yard and we have had no issues with the hawks.

I tried running the fishing line and also added bright surveyor's tape to make it more visible. The Redtail Hawk was amazingly nimble and got through the lines and killed 2 of my chickens. It was almost mechanical-like. I was amazed. So, now, I purchased 25' x 50' netting. I'll be putting that up soon, once the snow melts. I'll let you know how it works out.

Back
Top Bottom