Will bird netting keep the hawks from killing?

I tried running the fishing line and also added bright surveyor's tape to make it more visible. The Redtail Hawk was amazingly nimble and got through the lines and killed 2 of my chickens. It was almost mechanical-like. I was amazed. So, now, I purchased 25' x 50' netting. I'll be putting that up soon, once the snow melts. I'll let you know how it works out.
I'm curious - how far apart did you have the fishing lines? I have mature pines in my run, and can't use netting in that area, just where there is clear space. Haven't had a hawk problem, but have lost hens to great horned owls. Losses occurred even though there is a construction trailer turned coop that they can run under easily, in addition to the pines and brambles in the run.

Hi Y'all.

I'm going with this green weave from AmericanNetting.com made in N. America.

http://www.americannettings.com/product/bird-netting/

Mostly for hawk control, but has small enough openings (3/4") to keep wild foraging birds out.

Author of Chicken Health Handbook, https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=chicken health handbook
Gail Damerow ,
recommends preventing wild birds from sharing your poultry's food and drink to eliminate that as a disease vector.
smile.png

Peace.

DeAsUnJa
Avalon Gardens
AZ
http://avalongardens.org/

I use deer netting. I have for over 10 years. I have not had a hawk go through it yet (hope I didn't just jinx myself).

The only issue is (for those of you who live in snowy areas) is the wet snow will accumulate on it and bring it down. What I've started doing when a wet snow is in the forecast is I unhook the netting that is hooked to the coop. I "secure" it to the coop with cup hooks.

[/IMG]

I tried the deer netting and that failed horribly.

I went with actual aviary netting with two inch squares. It lets small birds come and go so they don't get stuck and keeps predatory birds out.

My bride actually saw a redtail hawk attempt to fly into the paddock and get launched backward.

Visually it's great and has held up well over the past couple of years.

Last edited:
I have been using deer netting with good results and is effective with heavy hunting pressure from Coopers Hawks coming multiple times per day and catching songbirds. Key is it must not have gaps / openings. Great-horned Owls in videos seem to be scared of the stuff even when it does not completely block access to birds roosting in pens close to the ground.

So sorry for your loss...a cooper's hawk attacked mine twice while I was sitting 20 feet away. That pop up canopy with netting is how I keep the girls safe now. Big Lots has them for $130. Easy to move around the yard.

I have a coop with two big trees over the run, coop within a green house, cinder block wall all the way around and just put plastic orange netting over the run. Should this protect them? My neigbneig saw a hawk last night in the tree above my green house.

I have a coop with two big trees over the run, coop within a green house, cinder block wall all the way around and just put plastic orange netting over the run. Should this protect them? My neigbneig saw a hawk last night in the tree above my green house.
If no gaps, then it should work well. I use deer netting to keep out Coopers Hawks and Great-horned Owls very well.

Back
Top Bottom