Will boy ducks try to kill the babies?

bayyjayy

Songster
8 Years
Jul 5, 2011
Utah
Hi, all.....I have two new babies and three more coming out of their shells right now. Twice now when I have looked out back, I have seen three of my drakes checking out the nest....am I suppose to seperate the mama and new babies? I have never done this before, so am curious and a bit worried since I keep seeing them going back to the nest.

Thank you!

Sometimes drakes do attack and even kill ducklings, so I feel you are right to be concerned.

You may want to separate mother and ducklings before it is a problem.

Thank you! I had decided to do it anyway, just in case.....but THANK you soooo much for replying!

Brats anyway!

At first i did... i think it's just good practice.. my drakes at night are separated from all the ducks and i separate down again any mums & babies..

After a little while because i free range, i do re-introduce the mama & babies but one has to watch.. usually it will settle down but i am sure it varies by the drake.. fwiw, my 4+wk old and it's mum and another duck and 3 drakes all forage daily. The other ducks are sitting.

I lost a duckling to the daddy drake once, it was awful, I felt so guilty. Now as soon as any of my ducks go broody on a full clutch I get that drake out of there, lesson learned

There is no yes/no answer.

My Swedish drakes don't like strangers coming near their flock. The Appleyard drakes don't care as long as the newcomers aren't causing any problems. None of mine have had newly hatched ducklings because I don't allow the ducks to brood, so I haven't seen how they react in that situation.

I had a muscovy drake that was a fantastic dad--even looked after ducklings not his own kind. Had a Khaki Campbell who did the overnight time out in hte crockpot with assorted veggies and broth after I caught him repeatedly trying to kill the muscovy ducklings. He was so darned fast the muscovy parents had difficulty getting to the baby he'd islolated and was attacking in time to prevent injury, though he never had time to finish the little ones off.

Ditto what the others said--separate them for a good while.

...and Congrats on the babies!

Thanks for the congrats.....I am way excited. The babies are to die for adorable....I think I got maybe a blue or lavender....not sure. Will have to post pics.

Thanks for all the input....I did seperate.

Back
Top Bottom