Will broody hen adopt chicks?

I am interested in this question because my hen who hatched three chicks two days ago just died. I don't know why. She didn't seemed too stressed and was eating and drinking this morning but when I came home tonight she was dead and the chicks were distressed. It was very traumatic for all of us. I tried to put them with another hen who was Broody also and was sharing the egg sitting responsibilities but was not there when chicks hatched. When I put them in the "nursery" together the hen seemed much more interested in getting out of the area than in the chicks and I was afraid she would step on them. I now have chicks in a box with a heat lamp food and water but I would rather have them hen raised. At this point can they be reintroduced?

They won't suffocate at all. I would put them all the way under her. When I did mine I kind of just sat them next to her at first and she pecked at them. After that I literally just stuffed one under her. I thought she would freak out or get up and move. Instead she just settled right down on top of it and was content. So I hurried up and stuff all the rest under there too and everyone was happy! All of this was done in the dark with a dim red headlamp lol.

I have a first time broody momma who I gave fertile eggs to but only one chick (out of 3 developed) made it from hatch. I was bummed and I didn't want the chick to be by herself so I went to the store and got 4 babies. I kept them separated for the first day because the hatched baby was newly born and I wanted to make sure she got off on the right start. The next day I took the last egg that didn't make it from momma and put the store bought babies under her. I did it one chick at a time, kinda shoved the baby close to her body. She kindly pushed each baby underneath for warmth. It was so cute! The hatched baby was still pretty stuck under momma, I couldn't even see her those first few days. It's been a week and momma and babies are doing great. I have them separated from the rest of the flock and have them in my basement right now (separated them during the hatch because the first baby to hatch was killed by another hen). So I'm debating when to introduce them to the outside. I don't have the best set up for babies with momma. I'm nervous to just put them all in the coop with the other hens. I am at least waiting till the get some feather growth before making a decision. Momma is very protective of her babies! She barely lets me see them. It's so cute when their tiny heads pop out of momma's feathers!

Good morning! Someone is giving me two chicks today that were hatched as a school project. I have no idea what breed they are yet. I currently have 5 laying hens: 4 Rhode Island Reds and 1 Barred Rock and no Roo. I am curious how old these chicks need to be before I introduce the chicks. Do I need to be concerned that the older hens will hurt them?

My older hens always attacked the chicks. I had to wait months until I could intergrate them.

I've got a broody hen she just hatched her first two chicks. I only thought one would hatch so I brought some extras just incase. These chicks are now 2 weeks old. Are they too old to go under her? I just tried it and after a while she accepted the yellow one which is the same colour as her other two chicks but kept viciously attacking the other two black ones. Am I too late at introducig them?

I'll try again tonight when it gets dark.

Starla, I would not let your babies with the big hens. Unless you have a broody hen, which it doesn't sound like it, your older hens will attack the babies. Depending on your set up you might have to wait a few months before introduction.

Tatiana, your babies might be too old for your hen to accept them. You will risk your hen killing them if she doesn't want to mother them.

Around here there are always adds in Craig's list for hatching eggs. You could allow your broody hen to hatch eggs those eggs and there wouldn't be any problums.

Will the mama hen continue to sleep in the nesting boxes, or will she sleep down in the roosting area? Just wondering if I need a ramp going from my nesting boxes down to the ground. Right now my girls just fly up there to lay eggs. It's about 2 feet high.

Last edited:
Will the mama hen continue to sleep in the nesting boxes, or will she sleep down in the roosting area? Just wondering if I need a ramp going from my nesting boxes down to the ground. Right now my girls just fly up there to lay eggs. It's about 2 feet high.

Momma will sleep with her babies until they are old enough to be on their own. But if you have your nesting boxes high, I suggest you make an area on the floor for the momma and babies. I made a box out of a plastic bin for my broody hen and her nest. The babies will try to climb out of the high nesting boxes and can get hurt or die. Also they will need food and water access. Momma will teach the babies how to eat and drink. Here is the box I made for them.

Thanx they're safely back inside now, she's the bottom of the pecking order in our flock and so friendly I really thought she was going to adopt them but as soon as she saw them she started screeching. I held one in my hand to protect her from getting pecked and she kept going for her. I'll keep them in a seperate broody pen until all the chicks are old enough to mingle with each other without her.

I moved my hen down onto the ground once her chicks had hatched. I waited until they were all hatched though because a few years ago I did it a few days before they were due to hatch so that everything was perfect. Sadly the mother hen freaked out and kept jumping up to the old nesting box and in the process stepped on a few of the eggs and broke them. Not a pretty sight!!

Back
Top Bottom