Will Buff Orpingtons lay in the winter??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Chicken_Hubster, May 5, 2010.

1. Chicken_Hubster

Chicken_Hubster Out Of The Brooder

May 4, 2010
    Dillsburg, PA
    My flock is 10 Buff orpingtons. If i calculated correctly they should start laying around October/November. I was wondering if they would continue to lay through the winter since it is their first year and because they are cold hardy birds.

If anyone has BO's and could let me know that would be awesome.

P.S. I live in PA so we do get some pretty cold winters. Especially last winter, yikes.

2. speckledhen

speckledhen Intentional Solitude Premium Member

Yup, mine sure do. Good girls. Sure, they slow down a bit, but they do fine. I don't add any artificial light to the coop to keep them going, either.

3. Chicken_Hubster

May 4, 2010
    Dillsburg, PA
    AWESOME. Yeah i don't want to add any light if i don't have to. Thanks for the reply.

4. HennyJenny

HennyJenny Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Bennington, NE
    Mine laid through two blizzards and on darn near everyday below zero this winter( the eggs froze and exploded before I got to them though). It was their first winter though - I suppose they could wise up next year.

5. Bantimna

Bantimna Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 29, 2009
    South Africa
    Jody (hinkjc) lives in PA, and has Orpingtons. That would be a good person to ask.
    Otherwise I don't have any experinces.

6. sacrifice

sacrifice Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2010
    Caldwell, ID
    When I had Orpingtons they always layed throughout the winter. I did add a small light for warmth when the temps went into the negatives, but other than that they were on their own. They did quite well.

7. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    I have four Buff Orps. Their first year (May through May), they laid eggs every season. The years thereafter they stopped laying in early Autumn due to molting. Then they resumed laying until November when the days became very short. They resumed in mid February when the days noticeably lengthened.

Right now they are 3 years old and between the four of them, I get one egg every other day.

8. Chicken_Hubster

May 4, 2010
    Dillsburg, PA
    Quote:Hm.... That isn't very good production for only being 3 years old is it?

9. Buff Hooligans

Buff Hooligans Scrambled

Jun 11, 2007
    Quote:You don't say! I've invited my hubby to have a strong word with the girls, but he's sweet on them and won't do it. I'm thinking of leaving a cleaver on top of their run this weekend...

1 person likes this.
  10. Chicken_Hubster

May 4, 2010
    Dillsburg, PA
    HAHA, that may do the trick.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by