Will Buff Orpingtons lay in the winter??

Chicken_Hubster

In the Brooder
9 Years
May 4, 2010
Dillsburg, PA
My flock is 10 Buff orpingtons. If i calculated correctly they should start laying around October/November. I was wondering if they would continue to lay through the winter since it is their first year and because they are cold hardy birds.

If anyone has BO's and could let me know that would be awesome.

P.S. I live in PA so we do get some pretty cold winters. Especially last winter, yikes.

Mine laid through two blizzards and on darn near everyday below zero this winter( the eggs froze and exploded before I got to them though). It was their first winter though - I suppose they could wise up next year.

When I had Orpingtons they always layed throughout the winter. I did add a small light for warmth when the temps went into the negatives, but other than that they were on their own. They did quite well.

I have four Buff Orps. Their first year (May through May), they laid eggs every season. The years thereafter they stopped laying in early Autumn due to molting. Then they resumed laying until November when the days became very short. They resumed in mid February when the days noticeably lengthened.

Right now they are 3 years old and between the four of them, I get one egg every other day.

Quote:
You don't say! I've invited my hubby to have a strong word with the girls, but he's sweet on them and won't do it. I'm thinking of leaving a cleaver on top of their run this weekend...

Back
Top Bottom