will buzzards kill call ducks?

Ok I have some pics, isn't as small as you said but if they don't really go for them it should be alright if not I can always add more but would rather not as have to bend down to walk through!

The pen from various different angles, obviously they are not as close together as they look.
P.s the last pic isn't the drake although that ivy leaf looks like it's head!

Now for the ducks :D

And pond, and bamboo planted today! :)

Last edited:
Pond and bamboo looks great. I'd continue to add more baling wire just work on it some till you have it covered better or start asking folks for old CD's they may have laying around and start hanging them on to the wire so they shine when the sun hits them I under stand this is a good deterrent. You have a real good start there though and your ducks are very pretty. Planting some bushes like you did the bamboo will also give your ducks a place to hide from aerial preds too.
Mc you might not have to add more wire if you hang CD's here is a link that shows some pics and also how to hang the cd's .
smile.png

http://hencam.com/henblog/2011/07/protecting-the-hens-from-predators/

Last edited:
Pond and bamboo looks great. I'd continue to add more baling wire just work on it some till you have it covered better or start asking folks for old CD's they may have laying around and start hanging them on to the wire so they shine when the sun hits them I under stand this is a good deterrent.  You have a real good start there though and your ducks are very pretty. Planting some bushes like you did the bamboo will also give your ducks a place to hide from aerial preds too.
Mc you might not have to add more wire if you hang CD's here is a link that shows some pics and also how to hang the cd's . :)  

http://hencam.com/henblog/2011/07/protecting-the-hens-from-predators/

Thanks, great link! I think I will continue adding abit more bailer twine and than hand some cd's just a pain I can't stand up straight In there though, oh well worth it for the safety if my babies. Do ducks run for cover when preds fly over? Whenever something has flown over they gave just stared at it? Could I try to teach them to run for cover? Maybe if I did it when a buzzard flew over they would learn, Or are they to old now? Will keep you updated

I just thought I would point out that the term "buzzard" is used for different birds in Europe versus the US. In the US it's another word for a vulture (which don't typically take live prey), but here in Europe a "buzzard" is a large hawk. I'm assuming since you are in the UK that you are asking about Common Buzzards? They will absolutely take a call duck if they get the chance, so keep working on your deterrent twine! :)

I just thought I would point out that the term "buzzard" is used for different birds in Europe versus the US. In the US it's another word for a vulture (which don't typically take live prey), but here in Europe a "buzzard" is a large hawk. I'm assuming since you are in the UK that you are asking about Common Buzzards? They will absolutely take a call duck if they get the chance, so keep working on your deterrent twine! :)

Yes we have common buzzard and honey buzzard. (Sorry not to specify) what do you think of what I have done so far?

Okay so buzzard could mean large hawk, I think your right and need to put up more baling wire you don't want to give what ever this is a place to land then just hop down into the fenced area. So make your rows closer together and add the cd's, shame you can't walk under it though.

My ducks usually just look up when the rooster gives the warning call, the chickens all take off for cover i have seen my ducks stand in one place and just look up, although after the Red Tail came into the yard and killed my bantam hen [before pred tape] they have been more observant of the skies and I even saw all of them running down to the house when the hawk flew over head.

How big should the holes be? I hope not to small as it is very tiresome puttin up all the bailer string. I hope you are aware that it is not wire but very strong string (plastic) the bantam chickens have been okay so far so hopefully even if there is a small weakness they hopefully won't get in.

How big should the holes be? I hope not to small as it is very tiresome puttin up all the bailer string. I hope you are aware that it is not wire but very strong string (plastic) the bantam chickens have been okay so far so hopefully even if there is a small weakness they hopefully won't get in.
Probably a little easier to work with than wire. I'd go to the Predator thread and make a new thread tell them what your trying to do even show the pics you showed here and get opinions of those who have done this in their large pens and runs.

Probably a little easier to work with than wire. I'd go to the Predator thread and make a new thread tell them what your trying to do even show the pics you showed here and get opinions of those who have done this in their large pens and runs.

Ok thank you. Will let you know what the outcome is

Yes we have common buzzard and honey buzzard. (Sorry not to specify) what do you think of what I have done so far?

No problem! I just wanted to make sure you knew that you do have dangerous predators that your birds need protection from. There was just a communication error going on with others who thought you were talking about vultures, which I would not be at all concerned about taking your ducks. ;) Common and honey buzzards are a concern, though. We have them here as well.

I think you're off to a great start! I agree that you need more twine and hanging the CD's (or other shiny objects) will help alot in keeping the buzzards at bay as well. It's not easy keeping such a large area secure, that's for sure! My ducks are in a much smaller pen than yours with chicken wire on top to keep them safe from aerial predators when I'm not around (and hot wire for the foxes, etc). That was a much easier solution. ;)

Back
Top Bottom