Will chickens defend themselves from a hawk?

A hen will just scream and try to get away.

Now I have a rooster that will run all the hens off into the coop when he sees a hawk. He will then go out and lay out trying to draw the hawk down. So far he has killed one young red tailed hawk and now has a blood thirst for it. He's about a year and half old RIR.

A broody hen with chicks will fight back with venom: I've had two.

My top hen, a little Araucana, had a kestrel on its back trying to defend itself from her when I arrived to the commotion (I had to rescue it - it didn't come back) and my Welsummer, who's quite chunky, got some 6-8 feet in the air chasing off a large hawk that on previous visits had taken two of her chicks (it didn't come back).

Here in Oklahoma it is illegal to kill these red tailed hawks. I have one that hangs out and he is HUGE!! Right now, when im
Home, I’ll let my firls
Out. They dig in my garden, they are the same
Color as my red dirt, I watch them and feed the crows! If they were leghorns, they would be a big target. I know hawks have great eyesight, but I think it makes a difference. I do not like to kill animals but I don’t want my girls dead, already lost my Puddy Tat to a hawk. Still thinking about a rooster for their protection, but don’t want the fertilized eggs!

Back
Top Bottom