will chickens drink from a hanging water bottle?

BCP - What size would be best for inside a small coop with 6 Standard Breed? I plan on having water outside as well.
Can you give me approximate dimensions on the 32oz., 64oz., and 1 gallon?
How often would I have to fill a 32oz or 64oz with 6 birds? Totally new to all of this and have no idea yet how much water a grown bird consumes...
Thanks,
Steve

We are using 1-2 of the 64 Ounce per 6-8 large birds, now, we are living in a hot, humid climate. Were in N.E. Alabama. so, i would definately start off with 2 per pen, filling them twice daily to assure clean fresh water at all times. Thank You for your interest. If you feel the need, please give us a call at 256-438-0123 and we will gladly discuss this matter further if need be.
smile.png

John

Help me understand - you are using 2 64oz. waterers and filling twice daily for 6-8 birds?
What are the physical dimensions of the waterers? or do you just provide the tip and I would use a 64 oz or 32 oz bottle accordingly?
One way to ask is: What do I get with the $5.95 watering system??
Steve

Last edited:
That is correct on count of units per pen..... We are supplying the entire unit! Bottle, lid, nipple, and lanyard for hanging. Please take a minute, Go to our site and take a look at the videos. All yu'll need to supply is the water and birds. lol
John

Black Creek Poultry it seems your web site is gone.

I got two , 64oz waterers with the tube and ball from Tractor Supply here, about $10 each, I think officially they're for rabbits but I wanted to try them for chickens. I put red tape on the tubes to go with the red lids, and installed one in one of our cages, took out the gross dirty old metal waterer. They went right to the new waterer, and seem to like it.

Now, so far they don't seem to be drinking a lot but in all fairness, our highs are in the 50s right now, and the girls get a LOT of collard leaves, apples, and some wet cat food so they may not need a lot of additional water.

The brand I got at Tractor Supply are called "Water Well" and surprisingly, are US-made and seem to be good and sturdy.

I got 'em because I needed to do what I could to solve the gross dirty water problem right away.

Longer term, I might want to try the "low pressure chicken nipples" sold by Farm Tek, and have those attach to a large diameter PVC pipe section serving as a water reservoir, with a little lid on the top for filling. I may also want to experiment with these ball-bearing nipples but again, attached to a PVC pipe section with a little cap on the top that can be unscrewed, water dumped in (faster than the leak rate) then screwed back on. My PVC creations would have brackets on them allowing them to be mounting or hung up without any stress to the tube. The fill-cap on top would mean, theoretically, no removing, up-ending to fill, re-installing, routine.

Back
Top Bottom