Will chickens use a "pet door"

Sarah401

Hatching
11 Years
Oct 6, 2008
I am designing a new coop for my chickens and was wondering if I could install a "pet door" for them to use ? In Michigan it get's pretty cold in the winter and I would like to have a cover on the door they use to go in and out, without having to shut it every night. I have a cat sized door and was wondering if that would work, or covering the opening with a heavy plastic, like is used for big walk in freezers?
Any Ideas??

i dunno about that honestly, but this post made me think of the pekin duck i had growing up. Hannah would come in the house every day through the doggie door we had lol i think she honestly though she was a dog she refused to fly too. Anyway I'm just rambling now but here's a bump
big_smile.png

I haven't done it myself but I've seen plenty of posts where people use the heavy plastic like the freezers or even build tunnels to deflect the wind. You'll probably have to train the chickens to use them. Hopefully someone that does this will show you a picture.

Here is a thread about Nifty-Chicken's automatic pop door you might find interesting.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=99668

And another site that offers something that might interest you.

www.foyspigeonsupplies.com

I don't know your predator situation, but I like to securely lock my coop up every night as most predators are more active at night.

I have the strips on both my chick coops and my barns here. My mom has her coop connected to the barn and they have a dog door between the two. Works for us. When it does get real cold here we have another pannel we can place on the inside of the coop to insulate it more.

Back
Top Bottom