Will chicks be okay with Mama hen outdoors in the cold???

Chickennewbie123

Hatching
Nov 24, 2019
00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191113161427581_COVER.jpg
Edit: we got some fertile eggs from a friend and slipped them under our broody.

Hello all,

My hen turned broody three weeks ago, so we decided to go ahead and let her sit on some fertile eggs. Tomorrow is day 21 and I am very excited about the possibility of some chicks hatching!

Of course it has been rather warm here in Oregon, until recently. In fact, we are supposed to get our first snow this coming week. Here are my questions as I am extremely new to this:

1. If any eggs end up hatching, will Mama hen know and be able to care for her chicks in the cold? I prefer not to bring the chicks indoors if at all possible.

2. Are new chicks generally accepted within the flock? Right now we have three hens total. No roosters. there is plenty of space in their Coop, and they are free range during the day.

Thank you so much for any advice!

Last edited:
New chicks are only accepted if the broody hen protects them which they will do 98% of the time.
A broody will be able to keep them warm down to near 10F. But when I had that situation, I put a heat lamp over the feed and water station. That way they could eat and drink in peace. The chicks were OK under her in the nest.
When it got below 10, I took them inside (I don't know if they would have been OK with her). However when the weather warmed up about 10 days later, I returned them and brought the chicks out in a carrier. It was the most amazing sight. She ran to the carrier to greet them and I'm sure she thought they were gone forever.
Good luck.

How are they fertile?
I don’t know why you think they are fertile, but unless one your hens is actually a rooster and you’re not aware, your hen is just broody. There really is no way...that I am aware...I could be wrong..but, pretty sure you need a rooster, or a visitor rooster for them to be fertile. If that’s the case, then it’s a different story.

if your broody in in the coop with the other hens, i would switch the feed to chick starter non-medicated. the chicks need this and it will not harm the older chickens.
make sure they have a chick waterer. something they cant fall in and drown.
the mother hen will keep them warm, dont worry about that.
i hope you get some chicks! how many did you sit under your broody?

Back
Top Bottom