Will chicks eat their own poop ?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by sabrina1099, Nov 23, 2015.

1. sabrina1099

sabrina1099 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2015
    ??

2. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    They shouldn't. Sometimes they'll peck at their poop but, usually, they hate the taste and don't do it again.

1 person likes this.
  3. Ridgerunner

Ridgerunner Chicken Obsessed

Feb 2, 2009
    Northwest Arkansas
    On the contrary, chickens eat their own poop. There are a lot of partially digested nutrients there. It’s how they develop flock immunities and share probiotics. That’s part of why chicks raised by a broody hen are normally so healthy. They get probiotics and develop flock immunities by eating her poop.

They also find a lot of nutrients in other animals’ poop. One method for pastured poultry is to follow cattle with chickens. The chickens scratch and scatter the cow patties while getting a lot of good nutrients from it.

Chickens are not human beings. They are not disgusted by the same things we are. They don't eat a lot of their poop, but they will eat some.

Last edited: Nov 23, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  4. Mountain Peeps

Mountain Peeps Change is inevitable, like the seasons Premium Member

Apr 23, 2014
    At our lodge
    My Coop
    Fascinating. I knew some animals like dogs, rabbits, etc, ate poop because of the nutrients contained in them but I've never seen, heard of or known chickens to be the same.

I apologize for my mis-information. I was just going by my personal experience with my own flock. :)

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by