Chick not eating or drinking, lethargic

catfalls

In the Brooder
5 Years
Sep 30, 2018
we received 24 chicks this Wednesday morning, all have been active, eating/drinking/pooping until today. One (we believe it is a Cuckoo Maran) is acting lethargic, not eating or drinking this afternoon. We noticed she has been straining a little while pooping and this morning appeared to have pasty butt. We cleaned her but now she is not eating or drinking and it just standing in a daze under the heat lamp. She just passed what looked like clear goo. Any suggestions to perk her up?

Hi! Go to PoultryDVM and select the chick icon that pops up, then select all the symptoms that apply.
I hope this helps!
there's no input for not drinking, but just entering lethargic, not eating, mucus in stool returns a list of over 120 possible causes. Not helpful. I'm looking for advice on giving electrolytes or some nutritional supplement by dropper that might help.

Amazingly she made it through the night. She's very weak and stands up constantly and stays under the heat lamp. She is passing alternates of mucus and white poo. She occasionally takes a single drink of water. I've tried both a nutrient/electrolyte water and warm egg yolk, but she doesn't seem very interested.
Two days ago she was eating, drinking and pooping normally, although we had noticed that she might have been straining a little to poop. I'm wondering if she might have a blockage. We've tried gently massaging her abdomen and crop. Not sure what else to do. Welcome any suggestions. She's very weak.

Update: please see my new post

1-2 week old chick lethargic, walking backwards, wings drooping​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom