Will chicks survive without bedding?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lauren Kim, Jun 14, 2017.

1. Lauren Kim

Lauren Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2017
    New Hyde Park, NY
    Will chicks survive without bedding? Please reply to this thread or message me. Thank you!

2. PD-Riverman

PD-Riverman Overrun With Chickens

Jan 14, 2012
    Conway SC
    Yes, just throw some dirt/sand in their brooder or put them on a 1/2" wire floor---None of my factory brooders use bedding---just wire.

Bedding is good to keep them from getting all in their poop---wire floors it falls through. But again I have used sand Many times.

3. Lauren Kim

Lauren Kim Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2017
    New Hyde Park, NY
    Thanks!
    Thanks!!

4. Folly's place

Folly's place Chicken Obsessed

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    There's survival, and there's comfort, and good husbandry. Mary

Ol Grey Mare and casportpony like this.
  5. KikisGirls

KikisGirls Be Happy! Read more. Premium Member

Jul 31, 2015
    Houston, TX
    Sure they can survive.
    Will you survive cleaning the coop is the question. ;)

casportpony likes this.
  6. Taylorbrood

Taylorbrood Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2017
    Hoquiam
    I don't because my coop has the pull out tray which is right under the roosting bars, and when I put shavings in it they pushed them out to lay on the tray. they poop on the tray and it does get on their feet, but at least it's not shavings and poop I am spraying off. Come winter they will have a different coop with higher roosting bars and plan to use pdz for odor and straw for insulation.

7. BYC910

BYC910 Overrun With Chickens

It's a matter of what I want to do .Chicks are fine every where wire dirt sand wood chips or shavings or pellets . No sense bedding brooders with wire floors . I use my paper feed bags to put on the bottom of my box brooders . Pull it out throw the whole tings in the manure pile .From there they go to small growers with wire floors and from there to the ground .

casportpony likes this.
  8. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Lauren, what are you really asking? Do you not have shavings available? Do you have something else to use in mind? If you do not have a wire bottomed brooder (like the ones used commercially) you will need to provide something for bedding, or your chicks are going to be covered in poop. That is not a good thing. Many folks use paper towels, newspaper, leaves, sand, hay, straw, wood chips, even old bath towels to start off their baby chicks.

Ol Grey Mare and PD-Riverman like this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by