Will chicks survive without bedding?

Yes, just throw some dirt/sand in their brooder or put them on a 1/2" wire floor---None of my factory brooders use bedding---just wire.

Bedding is good to keep them from getting all in their poop---wire floors it falls through. But again I have used sand Many times.

I don't because my coop has the pull out tray which is right under the roosting bars, and when I put shavings in it they pushed them out to lay on the tray. they poop on the tray and it does get on their feet, but at least it's not shavings and poop I am spraying off. Come winter they will have a different coop with higher roosting bars and plan to use pdz for odor and straw for insulation.

It's a matter of what I want to do .Chicks are fine every where wire dirt sand wood chips or shavings or pellets . No sense bedding brooders with wire floors . I use my paper feed bags to put on the bottom of my box brooders . Pull it out throw the whole tings in the manure pile .From there they go to small growers with wire floors and from there to the ground .

Lauren, what are you really asking? Do you not have shavings available? Do you have something else to use in mind? If you do not have a wire bottomed brooder (like the ones used commercially) you will need to provide something for bedding, or your chicks are going to be covered in poop. That is not a good thing. Many folks use paper towels, newspaper, leaves, sand, hay, straw, wood chips, even old bath towels to start off their baby chicks.

Back
Top Bottom