Will commercial feed be fine?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Easter eggers, Jul 28, 2011.

1. Easter eggers

Easter eggers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 4, 2011
    Is commercial feed and nothing else besides water ok for chickens?

2. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

Yes. Commercial feed is formulated to be "complete" nutrition.

But chickens fed some treats now and then are happier, and if their treats include fresh greens, they'll lay better tasting eggs.

3. abengel

abengel Out Of The Brooder

Mar 26, 2011
    Long Island
    I had some problems with babies who were only on crumbles. When I added a supplement to the water , no more problems. I was so impressed I started giving it to the whole flock, and I can't believe how good they look. I use quick chick and avian 2000, both available from cackle hatchery.

4. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    While commercial feed is formulated for "complete" nutrition, one may ask him/herself..."complete nutrition for what?"

For commercial chickens kept in commercial conditions, churning as many inferior eggs as possible during a brief life which ends in chicken soup.

Just some food for thought, you may or may not be interested in a healthy questioning of the system.

5. 7L Farm

7L Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 22, 2010
    Anderson, Texas
    If your chickens are laying I would provide them with 17 % laying pellets & some greens. Also, some oyster shell in a seperate bowl. Fresh water at all times & your done.

6. JodyJo

JodyJo Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 27, 2010
    Colorado
  7. jaketheeggman

jaketheeggman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 4, 2010
    Green Bay WI
    Yes sometimes that is all mine eat

8. Medicine Man

Medicine Man Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 21, 2010
    Apple Hill
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2011
  9. vsmenagerie

vsmenagerie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2011
    MT
    I am so excited about having chickens, partly because I HATE to waste food. With the chickens and the compost bin Im going to start, I think a lot more of our food will be used by something, instead of the trash can. I made salad the other night and wished I could have thrown the lettuce ends and stuff to some chickens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by