Will Coturnix do fine in a group of two?

Discussion in 'Quail' started by Scooter&Suzie, Apr 13, 2016.

1. Scooter&Suzie

Scooter&Suzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    All day today my Coturnix quail eggs have been hatching. So far I have 29, and maybe a couple more eggs will hatch. I noticed two of my chicks kept flopping on their back and couldn't stand or move their neck straight. I looked this up, and it seems like it is wry neck. From what I've read, it sounds like treatment for it takes about a month. I was planning to sell all my chicks within the next couple weeks, but I don't think I can sell these two guys quite yet. First off, probably no one will want to deal with the chicks, and secondly I have an urge to help every injured animal I see. Will these two guys be alright if I rehome all their siblings and just keep them until they are better, and then rehome them as a pair?

tl;dr

Will two coturnix quail (I don't know the gender yet) be alright living together? If not, what is the minimum amount of quail you can keep?

2. nchls school

nchls school Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 22, 2015

3. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Okay, thank you :) I found another one with leg issues, so right now there will be 3 anyway.

4. DK newbie

DK newbie Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2015
    You will probably have trouble if 2 are roos and one is a hen. Otherwise, it might work, but two hens for one roo isn't too great either. Unless they have lots of room and places to hide, the roo is likely to over breed two hens.

5. Scooter&Suzie

Jun 23, 2011
    Pennsylvania
    Oh, thats a good point. I did think it was common to keep coturnix quail in trios though. But I'll find homes for them once they mature, so hopefully they will be okay until then.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by