Will deep litter work with azomite?

RebinNH

Songster
Jun 15, 2022
Wondering if any of you hav tried using azomite with the deep litter method? Will it likely kill the bacteria that needs to be happening below?

Wondering if any of you hav tried using azomite with the deep litter method? Will it likely kill the bacteria that needs to be happening below?
I don’t have direct experience but I think it would be OK.
I believe azomite is a mineral based soil amendment product.
I don’t believe it has any anti-bacterial activity, and if it is used to amend soil to make it better for growing it is unlikely to sterilize the soil as some plants thrive better with a living bacterial environment.
Apologies if I have the wrong product!

Last edited:
Some use sweet PDZ never heard of azomite. I use deep litter and just clean out wet poop daily once in a while I sprinkle Baking soda over the litter and stir it in real good.

Sweet PDZ is zeolite. That is what I meant to say. As it deodorizes (real well) I wonder if it stops the fermentation or bacterial breakdown process of deep litter, thereby disallowing heat formation and the purpose of deep litter.

I've looked it up online and found nothing. I will contact the company and see if they know but to be frank, I doubt they will know, as deep litter is somewhat obscure except for those who actually use the method. Zeolite is often used for horse stalls and they would not be on top of deep litter. I fugured either ducks or chickens (more likely) would be doing deep litter.

If you mean zeolite, it won't hurt composting type deep litter, but there should be no reason to use it. If you have an odor problem with your deep litter, you have a imbalance of ingredients and/or conditions.

Azomite is a blend of fertilizers for plant growth.

It's getting there that is the issue. I think it's not an immediate set up. It takes some time to get there...no?

It's getting there that is the issue. I think it's not an immediate set up. It takes some time to get there...no?
Getting where??
Might be best to describe your set up(size of coop and run, number of birds, etc) and litter ingredients and what you expect of it.

I'm sorry. I didn't mean my coop set up. I meant the litter actually starting to produce the bacteria enough to break down the straw and create heat. It's a small coop with (now after one of my hens just died) 2 muscovy.

Back
Top Bottom