Will deep litter work with azomite?

I'm sorry. I didn't mean my coop set up. I meant the litter actually starting to produce the bacteria enough to break down the straw and create heat. It's a small coop with (now after one of my hens just died) 2 muscovy.
Is coop 'floor' the actual ground or is there a wooden floor?
Theoretically composting can create heat, but it's pretty hard to do in a coop as it needs mass, a mix of ingredients including moisture.
The moisture needed to make heating compost can be detrimental to a poultry habitat.

It sounds like you are not a proponent for deep litter "The moisture needed to make heating compost can be detrimental to a poultry habitat." but there are people who do this and seem successful. Of course there is much moisture in a duck coop and that is needed for composting. (I'm a gardener of many decades). My compost piles have been at least 3' high and wide and do not see that as a goal with the deep litter. Perhaps the deep litter is less composting and something somewhat different. Maybe some of you who do it would like to chime in.
All I know is that zeolite does reduce the ammonia gas significantly and my question was about the effect on deep litter.

It sounds like you are not a proponent for deep litter "The moisture needed to make heating compost can be detrimental to a poultry habitat." but there are people who do this and seem successful. Of course there is much moisture in a duck coop and that is needed for composting. (I'm a gardener of many decades). My compost piles have been at least 3' high and wide and do not see that as a goal with the deep litter. Perhaps the deep litter is less composting and something somewhat different. Maybe some of you who do it would like to chime in.
All I know is that zeolite does reduce the ammonia gas significantly and my question was about the effect on deep litter.
Here is an article on deep litter vs deep bedding. Basically you rarely get true composting inside a covered coop because there isn't enough damp.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...a-small-coop.76343/?page=2#ams-comment-522509

I have true dirt floor in the coop and in the run and I do deep bedding and litter. I have not yet got around to cleaning it (after 4 years) and it has no odor.
When I need stuff for the garden I go in with a shovel and a bucket and take what I need, but basically I just keep piling more stuff on top.

I suggest you get going without any Sweet PDZ and only use it if you have an issue.

This is related to ducks, not chickens. Ducks poop can create a LOT of ammonia, so I doubt I'll nix the zeolite. More likely I won't attempt to do deep bedding/litter. I will say that though they poop a lot, they also pee a substantial amount. From what I've heard much more than chickens.

This is related to ducks, not chickens. Ducks poop can create a LOT of ammonia, so I doubt I'll nix the zeolite. More likely I won't attempt to do deep bedding/litter. I will say that though they poop a lot, they also pee a substantial amount. From what I've heard much more than chickens.
I just read that duck manure is not as 'hot' and can be put right on a garden.
But yeah, much wetter, so doing a composting bedding would be difficult to balance.

Are you only using straw as bedding?
And does your duck coop have a floor?

So you're not a duck owner? If that is so, I'm not understanding why you are attempting to figure this out and advise me (who has owned ducks and been through 1 winter for 1.5 years) when you have no experience. I posted my question to the duck forum and am hoping someone there with experience will answer.
Thanks anyway but maybe you (and others) would benefit from sticking with your type of bird. You've been on for 11 years and I do appreciate that you want to help but maybe instead of guessing, you know duck owners who use deep litter you can direct my way.
Peace

So you're not a duck owner? If that is so, I'm not understanding why you are attempting to figure this out and advise me
I was intrigued by the title in the new thread list, wondered what azomite was....am always wanting to learn new things. Also used to asking questions in the quest to learn more, as well as gather information for anyone else(like a duck owner)who might be better able to help you. And actually you posted this thread the coop or management forum and I asked to have it moved to the duck forum so you'd get more pertinent info.

Back
Top Bottom