Will Diatomaceous Earth kill lice on goats?

Heavens, no...it won't.

You need to treat with Ivermec and/or CyLence. Also, in my experience, a healthy goat will not become infested, so you likely have something else going on, too.

Don't forget you'll need to treat where the goat is kept, as well.

I have angoras and they get treated for lice twice a year. It's just something they get. These are "goat lice" so you don't have to worry about them with people.

I don't know if DE will kill them, but it does prevent them. Once you get rid of the lice, treat your goats daily with DE. You can put in there food, bedding, in dishes, where ever you like. I use it, along with my mom and NONE of our animals have every had lice, fleas, mites, worms, etc. etc. I do have oral wormer on hand, but to this date have NEVER used any of it.

If you can contain the goat to one area until the lice is gone treat the area the goat was contained in too.

I just seen on the DIY channel one of there DIY FYI tips. And for lice/fleas it says to vaccum up area, put moth balls in vaccum bag. Also to sprinkle salt on the ground. The fleas/lice will die from the salt. Could try something like that.

Best of luck.
Shawna

We adopted goats onetime with lice, Ivromectin paste wiped all those grossies out within just hours! it was great!
smile.png

Last edited:
How much of the Ivromectin paste do I give him he only weighs about 5-10 lbs max. Is he old enough to worm him. For our other goat I gave her 3x her weight is it the same for little guys? Ivormectin past is for horses so you can get it at any feedstore, its a horse wormer.
Thanks Again

Last edited:
Quote:
Yep, it's the same, 3x the dose to 4x the dose. Better to overdose than underdose. I prefer topical or injectable (orally) to the paste, but use what you have.

We start deworming our goats at 4 weeks old...babies need dewormed more frequently than adults.

Quote:
tractor supply is where i get mine, in the horse section, used it on goats, dogs, cats and rabbits it's great stuff. Ivromectin is the active ingreds in heartworm preventitive to give you an idea of its' wide spectrum of uses.

It's meant as wormer, but also irradicates lice, ticks and has been known to evenkeep mites and fleas at bay.

I personally ilke the paste better myself, as i can see the dosage and fix it accordingly...where as the syringe method...ive even heard that this is really painful to the animal they say it seems like it's a burning sensation to the animal. A dab of paste on the lip, or in the mouth of a yucky pastey ness is way less stressful i feel but it's what i feel comfortable using.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom