1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Will dogs kill my geese?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by LindseyM12, Nov 7, 2010.

1. LindseyM12

LindseyM12 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Hi again, I have two African geese and I need to let them free range. My question is, will a dog kill a full grown goose?? We have 4 dogs and 2 of them will kill chickens and ducks. 1 of them has killed 2 ducks and 4-5 chickens. Thanks!!

2. floridaquilter

floridaquilter Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 31, 2010
    Crescent City, FL
    I know of many dogs that can certainly kill geese! if not kill then damage badly. Some geese are quite aggressive and can put a hurtin on a dog but I sure wouldn't take a chance of them surviving a dog attack. I have a chain link fence around my yard and the geese free range. If a predator comes close to the chicken house they will sound off wildly. Scares off most predators but a stubborn dog can't be stopped by the honking.

3. luvchicks8

luvchicks8 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2009
    new Hampshire
    They can mine dog gets the beating from the geese:lol:

4. desertdarlene

desertdarlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 4, 2010
    San Diego
    I'm sure a big enough and strong enough dog can be a danger. Coyotes get geese all the time, even fierce ganders. I wouldn't take a chance, either.

5. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    I think that they CAN kill a goose..
    But (knock on wood)..mine dogs didnt...
    One day my dogs got into my backyard and killed all my ducks.. [​IMG]
    There was one surviving duck being guarded by my geese.
    And my dogs are big saint bernards... So they could have EASILY killed my geese.... but they didnt.
    I think dogs tend to go after the smaller/flighty animals.. chickens and ducks..etc..
    But i would never say that a goose is safe with a dog..never.

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  6. LindseyM12

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Ok, thx guys. I dont know what to do! My geese need more space! [​IMG] Dumb dogs....

7. Hillbilly_Curt

Hillbilly_Curt Out Of The Brooder

May 16, 2009
    Vancouver Island
    I lost my first goose to 2 dogs. They came into the yard, killed it and left. He was making a break for the pond but didn't get there.

8. sourland

sourland Broody Magician Premium Member

May 3, 2009
    New Jersey
    If those dogs have gotten away with multiple killings of ducks and chickens, they will kill your geese. There are several solutions: build better pens, train your dogs, get rid of the dogs, or get rid of your birds. It is our responsibility to protect the animals that we dicide to acquire. Anything less is negligence. Not meant to be harsh-just realistic.

1 person likes this.
  9. redhen

redhen Kiss My Grits... Premium Member

May 19, 2008
    Western MA
    n/m

Last edited: Nov 7, 2010
  10. LindseyM12

May 4, 2009
    North Carolina
    Quote:The ducks that the dog killed were my bathroom and the door SOME HOW got open. :'( The chickens he killed I had them free ranging and I told my family NOT to let them out and someone forgot [​IMG] I dont like dogs, so if I got my way the dogs would be gone but they aint mine. [​IMG] So dont go thinking that I'm not taking care of my animals.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by