Quails1

Songster
6 Years
May 15, 2015
I mean, when I see doves breeding in captivity, I've noticed they will utilize an open nest, not a "closed" nest, like a nest box. Or do they? I currently have 2 Barbary/ringneck doves I'm trying to breed, and I'm still searching for the correct natural nest that I can use as a breeding ground for birds.
lg-18138-44687-bird.jpg

nest.jpg

789_2_0_0.JPG
Aren't they more like pigeons in their nest type? If so, then google 'nest bowls'. :D
ETA: pic is some fancy imported Belgian ones lol, but they come in many materials and price points - even disposable paper ones. Foys.com is a source among many others.

I opened my loft this morning to find that somebody started building a nest. I provided a bundle of tobacco stems in the loft about a month ago, but they went untouched (as expected, this early on), but this morning I noticed that stems were being assembled into one of the nest bowls. Yes, there are only a handful of stems in there now, but there were NONE last night, so I am impressed at how quickly and industrious they were in this regard.

I ordered those tobacco stems from Foy's. I want to say they were around $20, but they provide you an entire banker sized box of them, which I imagine will last quite some time.
Yes, you are exactly right, fanciers use tobacco stems as an alternative to straw and/or pine needles because they repel parasites, and I think they are also bacteria and fungi resistant. The stems smell IDENTICAL to Red Man chewing tobacco lol.

Tobacco stems are one popular nest material :D.

789_2_0_0.JPG
Aren't they more like pigeons in their nest type? If so, then google 'nest bowls'. :D
ETA: pic is some fancy imported Belgian ones lol, but they come in many materials and price points - even disposable paper ones. Foys.com is a source among many others.

So they won't use a closed nest? I'm confused. I'm concerned if I use those nest bowls, I can only place them on the floor of the cage.

Oh, okay. I don't know if they would use a closed nest, perhaps they would? Why not add a shelf in the cage to put the bowl on? If you give them a nest box they don't like they will probably just go ahead and make their own nest on the floor. lol

still searching for the correct natural nest
I pick up these 10 inch dog bowls at the Dollar Store I line them with wood shavings or pine needles. Hay straw or dried grasses would also serve well as material what ever is suitable and handy. I like the fact they are "not a tippy canoe" when birds are exchanging duties which can lead to loss of eggs.
Ask me how I know.
I notice some bowls have holes which allows ventilation and drainage not a bad idea. I may adopt that tip. Thank you for sharing biophiliac

Dbowl.jpg

Last edited:
You can simply get a small wicker basket... and tie / hang it on the cage bars using some wire. You could also do the same with a shallow plastic kitchen food container I did not use any nesting material for the doves as the wicker weaving was just like the twigs they would use anyway. If you like nesting material for them just use dry grass and cut up into short lengths or small light twigs.

They need an open nest bowl like that.. the closed ones are too cramped for them and the squabs can't reach up to feed from their parents properly... also they can't poop over the side to keep the nest clean... and their tail and wing feathers will get damaged on the sides when they move about or flap their wings.

Thank you for your help! But what concerns me now is if they'll nest on the cage floor or should do so elevated off the floor and attached to the wall instead. I've seen them nest on the cage floor doing fine, though I'm worried this doesn't seem to replicate their nesting position. I do know some species breed on or near the ground, like ground-doves, but most choose not to.

Back
Top Bottom