Will drakes settle down? Graphic mating talk warning!!!!!

My black Runner Drake (Quackers) does not like any of my chickens, especially the RIR Rooster. Quackers will chase that rooster all day long. It the rooster decides to get amorous with one of his girls and she squawks a bit Quackers is there to rescue her(reminds me of that song "along came lonely lanky john"....)! Interestingly enough that Quackers just adores my little polish Roo, and dotes over him to the point of sometimes ignoring her mate a white Peking (Cheese). They are the true 'odd couple'??? I finally had to separate the ducks from the chickens I was having to clean the chickens water 3 or 4 times a day, because the ducks muddied it. Also had to separate the RIR Rooster from the other Chickens and Ducks, If you have ever seen a large RIR Roo challenge a little Polish Roo, you will understand why.....besides the Black Runner Quackers gave the RIR no peace at all.
Pics when computer lets me send them...

I also had trouble balancing my ratio, and reached my limit of ducks with 4 boys and 3 girls, so I divided their pen and now everyone is doing fine. Before, the boys had a favorite and she ended up really bad off (almost as bad as that duck someone else posted a pic of, I think), so I kept her in my bathroom and babied her for a week to recuperate. Now they get a little bit of "fun" with her while they free range in the yard (if I let them all out at the same time and not in shifts), but for the most part she is protected. I've only had this set-up for about 5 months now, but so far, so good. I'm really glad, because I couldn't bear to give up any of my boys, especially knowing what most people do with extra drakes. :(

Back
Top Bottom