Will duck leave if eggs are not viable?

Debby Duck

Songster
Jul 5, 2020
South Florida
I have a wild Muscovy nesting in my garden. I wish I'd noted when she began but didn't. It seems like a long time though. Will she know when to give up and just stop if they're not good? I don't know if I should do something. The poor thing is so vulnerable there with all the drake's on my pond. I'm constantly chasing them off.

Mine certainly didn't. >.< It all depends on the duck. Muscovy incubation is 35 days as compared to the 28 of our other mallard-derived ducks.

You should probably not interfere with her, although I'm uncertain what you can do about your drakes...

Oh 35 days. Maybe that's why it seems so long. Mama is really dedicated to her job, she is on them day and night. I started giving her food and water I felt bad for her. I don't leave the food out, just when she wants it which isn't much.
The drake's have started getting the message that if she calls the crazy lady comes running out with the stick. And she's right under my bedroom window. Smart duck.
Oddly my boys never try to mate with the females, just chase them off their lawn. 😊 But when they got nosy and started poking around her nest she sent them packing and had one of them by the tail feathers all the way down to the lake.🤣

Back
Top Bottom