Will ducks adopt ducklings?

Sagenovese

Songster
8 Years
Mar 25, 2016
A predator killed all but 2 Runner ducks. I took 8 eggs and placed them in incubator. They’ve just finished hatching and i set them in a separate brooder within my coop. The 2 ducks immediately became interested and are now laying on the eggs they layed last night. Instantly broody by proximity to ducklings?
All if this yesterday.
So I have now made 3 attempts to place a single duckling under a duck but (only year old and never been broody) they run from it and the duckling chases it! Finally got one duck to allow 2 duckling to sit on/next to duck but I was afraid to leave them while I had other things to do. So I put ducklings back in brooder.
This morning, I made another attempt, but both ducks jumped up and ran away. When duckling chased it, one duck grabbed it. I shooed her away and put duckling back in brooder. Both ducks back to setting eggs staring at ducklings.
Should I keep trying? I am afraid ive now created 2 broody ducks and the eggs they are on are a full 4 weeks post drake’s death.

A predator killed all but 2 Runner ducks. I took 8 eggs and placed them in incubator. They’ve just finished hatching and i set them in a separate brooder within my coop. The 2 ducks immediately became interested and are now laying on the eggs they layed last night. Instantly broody by proximity to ducklings?
All if this yesterday.
So I have now made 3 attempts to place a single duckling under a duck but (only year old and never been broody) they run from it and the duckling chases it! Finally got one duck to allow 2 duckling to sit on/next to duck but I was afraid to leave them while I had other things to do. So I put ducklings back in brooder.
This morning, I made another attempt, but both ducks jumped up and ran away. When duckling chased it, one duck grabbed it. I shooed her away and put duckling back in brooder. Both ducks back to setting eggs staring at ducklings.
Should I keep trying? I am afraid ive now created 2 broody ducks and the eggs they are on are a full 4 weeks post drake’s death.
It depends on the personality of the ducks. It sounds like you only have females, which is good for trying to introduce chicks. maybe you should sneak them under the ducks at night? just be sure to watch them and separate if they don't get along.

Back
Top Bottom